Scanner or computer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey @Pinger, what year is your 'burb again? If it's a '98+ then the PCM is supported by HPTuners. For '96-'97 black box PCMs I believe the go-to software is TunerCat, also known as JET Dynamic Spectrum Tuner. Just wanted to give you some other tuning software options to check out if you can't get TunerPro working with your truck.

If you're only wanting to do factory diagnostic/maintenance procedures then Chinese Tech 2 scan tool clones are available for $2-300 US, or you can emulate one on a PC with software called Tech2Win.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Hey @Pinger, what year is your 'burb again? If it's a '98+ then the PCM is supported by HPTuners. For '96-'97 black box PCMs I believe the go-to software is TunerCat, also known as JET Dynamic Spectrum Tuner. Just wanted to give you some other tuning software options to check out if you can't get TunerPro working with your truck.

If you're only wanting to do factory diagnostic/maintenance procedures then Chinese Tech 2 scan tool clones are available for $2-300 US, or you can emulate one on a PC with software called Tech2Win.
His Burb is a 99 like mine, but a C2500 instead of a C1500. Both 5.7 vortec though. Is there a tuning/data reading app for android that you are aware of? If there is, that's what I would like to use. Lots easier to use my tablet and a plug/cord for the under dash port. Thanks in advance!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
His Burb is a 99 like mine, but a C2500 instead of a C1500. Both 5.7 vortec though. Is there a tuning/data reading app for android that you are aware of? If there is, that's what I would like to use. Lots easier to use my tablet and a plug/cord for the under dash port. Thanks in advance!

Torque is my favorite, DashCommand is another good one. I've heard Car Gauge Pro is another option. They're all pretty limited compared to an actual scan tool but some will read some more advanced things like CMP.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/car-gauge-pro-can-read-cmp.35275/

A note about the Bluetooth OBD2 adapters... The cheap ones are all kind of terrible in my experience. I've bought 5-6 of them over the years and only one of them still works flawlessly is my $100 PLX Kiwi. All the others have developed problems or just flat out never worked on certain vehicles. The PLX was expensive but it works every time on every vehicle.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

It's that last bit I'm after - using a lap top......

Torque is my favorite, DashCommand is another good one. I've heard Car Gauge Pro is another option. They're all pretty limited compared to an actual scan tool but some will read some more advanced things like CMP.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/car-gauge-pro-can-read-cmp.35275/

A note about the Bluetooth OBD2 adapters... The cheap ones are all kind of terrible in my experience. I've bought 5-6 of them over the years and only one of them still works flawlessly is my $100 PLX Kiwi. All the others have developed problems or just flat out never worked on certain vehicles. The PLX was expensive but it works every time on every vehicle.

......using a lap top with a solid connection (I already have two that might work) as the lap top doesn't have Bluetooth (and I don't have a smart phone that does as the mobile signal is rubbish in parts of rural Scotland) and the lap top is old enough to work with my LPG software which is old tech.
Haven't forgotten about this just too busy with work at the moment. I'll get back to it soon.
Mines a 99 BTW.

TacosnBeer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you turn off sensors with this software? I have a 98 that has a carbed 350 in it now and would like to turn off all the sensors that arent being used to keep my check engine light from staying on. In Hawaii, a yearly safety check is required and they won't pass you with the check engine light on... this is no bueno with my truck now that all the sensors aren't connected anymore.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can you turn off sensors with this software? I have a 98 that has a carbed 350 in it now and would like to turn off all the sensors that arent being used to keep my check engine light from staying on. In Hawaii, a yearly safety check is required and they won't pass you with the check engine light on... this is no bueno with my truck now that all the sensors aren't connected anymore.

Depends on which software you're referring to. Actual tuning software like HPTuners, TunerPro, TunerCAT, etc, yes. Diagnostic software like the Android apps I mentioned and the factory GM stuff like Tech2Win, no.

Be aware that depending on how they do the tests in your area just disabling the check engine light and corresponding codes may not be enough to pass, especially if you're missing easily visible components like a catalytic converter.

TacosnBeer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depends on which software you're referring to. Actual tuning software like HPTuners, TunerPro, TunerCAT, etc, yes. Diagnostic software like the Android apps I mentioned and the factory GM stuff like Tech2Win, no.

Be aware that depending on how they do the tests in your area just disabling the check engine light and corresponding codes may not be enough to pass, especially if you're missing easily visible components like a catalytic converter.

Thanks for the info.. will have to look into this more.

Trust me, our safety checks are not that in-depth... as long as the check engine light isnt on, its good for that aspect. Some places are sticklers for certain things but most just hit the basics. How much they look at varies from station to station. Been playing this game for a LONG time. Its really a waste of time as some places don't even look at the car... they just make sure your paperwork is up to date. Some is also who you know. I have been going to the same place for years and they just slap the sticker on and its all good. I make sure my **** is all good though. You should see some of the crap on the road here that gets passed.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes! Looks like it's working. Double clicking scalars and flags brings up boxes with 'save' and 'cancel' options (but I'm getting 'no compare bin' within them). Double clicking tables brings up tables.

It's the same whether I have C2500 bin or 8cyl bin. Is the 'no compare bin' it asking to be hooked up to the truck?