Replacing my tool box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've been using an old blueprint file cabinet as a tool box, which was a giant step up from a hip box sitting on a cart. Unfortunately the drawers are too shallow and some drawers lost their bearings. Today, I was suprised to find a fantastic deal.

I stopped by the Habitat for Humanity Restore and found a group of surplus industrial tooling cabinets. I bought several Stanley Vidmar cabinets for dirt cheap. One will be my new tool box.

I still have to pick them up. I wasn't driving my truck when I stopped in.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've thought about using old filing cabinets for my tool storage, it'd probably be a lot cheaper than my want for an older Snap On roll cab to match the Snap On road box I picked up a couple years ago.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've thought about using old filing cabinets for my tool storage, it'd probably be a lot cheaper than my want for an older Snap On roll cab to match the Snap On road box I picked up a couple years ago.

I've used one of the really wide filling cabinets that way, at a former employer. I used it for bulk overflow storage.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought several Stanley Vidmar cabinets for dirt cheap. One will be my new tool box.
Those Vidmar cabinets are fantastic. When I was working at Werner in Merced CA back in ~2002. We bought 6 or 8 (I can't remember exactly) of them for ~$750 each used for our parts room. That was a good deal then!

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When my Grandfather, a family physician retired, there were a few dozen upright 4 drawer file cabinets. I asked my mother about them she said" come get what you want".
Do I picked up 3 of them. I choose the older probly 60's manufactured. They seemed better built.
I have one in my study, library, guy stuff room. One in garage that has all the tester boxes, test equipment, special tool stuff.
And of course, " she who must be obeyed ", spotted the last one and said," go ahead and put that one in my craft room", wait what? Oh well.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I got the last of the three Vidmar boxes picked up on Saturday. I hauled them one at a time, on their backs. Each went to a different house. The first one went to my dad, and it's likely the newest. The second is in my garage, and my cousin wanted the 3rd.

They're a bit larger than I estimated at 30" wide. It looks huge sitting in my garage. I've got to move stuff before I can move stuff, just to get to stuff that needs to be moved, so I can start arranging things. I pulled all the drawers and slides to move it, and washed it really well before getting it into my garage. I'm going to paint the cabinet and keep the drawers tan, I think. It's got a large spot on the top, where it looks like something spilled and ate the paint, plus a few other spots with missing paint and a tiny bit of rust.

My cousin is going to take my current blueprint drawer, too. Those may get replaced with a large steel shelf I've found at one of the near-ish auction houses. I'm keeping my eyes out for an old workbench too. I'd really like to get my garage squared away this year.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're a bit larger than I estimated at 30" wide. It looks huge sitting in my garage. I've got to move stuff before I can move stuff, just to get to stuff that needs to be moved, so I can start arranging things. I pulled all the drawers and slides to move it, and washed it really well before getting it into my garage. I'm going to paint the cabinet and keep the drawers tan, I think. It's got a large spot on the top, where it looks like something spilled and ate the paint, plus a few other spots with missing paint and a tiny bit of rust.
Once you are all done getting them where you want them please post pics --
I'd like to see that. Thanks!