I figured I'd introduce myself :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
wait a second!!

@AK49BWL - thanks again!

I was just sitting here, rethinking this, and it MUST be the wrong CDM;
Unfortunately I still have not heard from my uncle or cousin, but this MUST be the answer, and here's why:

This past weekend I purchased a whole schwack of "replacement parts from other trucks (I had unbelievably fantastic luck);
And when I got home on Saturday with replacement stereo parts, I plugged them both into the CDM, and saw this:

I can be sure those were connected securely, ergo, the CDM must be the issue.

So, hopefully the snow breaks just enough today for me to try to find a replacement CDM to swap in the truck, incase my province (eg: state) goes into lock down as other states seem to be doing right now... I mean a guy's gotta have projects right!?

There ya go :) glad I could be of help, and good luck with getting the replacement amp unit!

man I wish I had access to my truck right now, there's so much I want to do with it while everything's shorting out worldwide... Unfortunately, my biggest project desire is one I can't find good parts for.

unruhjonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
@AK49BWL
You were correct!

I grabbed two CDM's because 'Murphy's law' states that if I grabbed just one, it would have been a dud!

Because I'd like this information to be out there to help others, this was the lists I compiled:

the following numbers are supposed to be EQ CDM's, which are compatible with non-EQ radios:
  • 12341718(??)

the following are numbers which are non-EQ CDM's; if used with an EQ stereo, the EQ will not function properly:
  • 89AZTU
  • 5358583(??)
  • 16055070(??)

And upon getting it in place, I was greeted with a fully functioning equalizer!

full

I actually messaged my cousin again, an later last night he got back to me and said he never saw that, and always wondered what those buttons did... so it was either his older brother or dad that did the swap.
Incidentally, the CDM I pulled was model number 16172115 which confirms that number from my list.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Nice!! I'll definitely be saving that list, so thank you for that! I have a few at the house I still need to check.

Hmm, you've got 16147065 on both lists :p And 16172115 is on the No-EQ list.. Is that the one you pulled from your truck?

Last edited:

unruhjonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh!

Good catch!!

I did ALOT of ebay auction listings to get those numbers, and apparently didn't notice it when I compiled the information.
Yes, the '2115 was the non-EQ one that possibly my uncle installed;
I can confirm that it should be in the non-EQ list.

unruhjonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rather than make a new thread, I figured I'd "bump" this one;
I did a search but the best result I found wasn't super helpful.

I was wanting to make a "wanted" post, but seem unable;
The forum says that "full access members" can post, but I can find no thread which explains what a "full access member" is, or how this status is attained.
I found a thread that suggests that fifty posts might be needed to attain this status, and to date, the rate of activity here has been directly proportional to my frequency of postings;
It also suggested I need to wait thirty days;
But it looks like I should be far past thirty days - can someone help me out by clearly making this understandable?

unruhjonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
/\ /\
I guess no one knows?!

Back to my truck;
I bought some Pioneer speakers, and pulled apart everything behind the seats to R&R the rear speakers.
After I got the first one out, I noticed the 9.5ohm rating versus the 4ohm rating of the Pioneers, and took pause. I did several google searches, in addition to looking here for info, and opted to play it safe, and return the Pioneer speakers;
My replacement Delco speakers showed up today (a day early according to the Rockauto shipping information!), and I am glad to say that I now have fully functional right and left speakers!

here are some front and rear comparison pictures of the original versus replacement speakers:
full

full

I was surprised to find that although the replacement speakers are all the same, the originals had different part numbers because a different angle on the plug, and the rear speakers had an (?anti squeaking) paper adhesion to the mounting surface;
The replacements were dead ringers for the rear speakers, but curiously have a 10ohm rating!?!

I also took the time today to remove the original/broken gauge pod/surround and buttoned everything up. While putting the dash back together I put in my replacement headlight switch, but have at this time left my truck's original hvac controls and stereo with all their patina'd "whitened buttons"...

Here's me at the midway point:

full

Here's a marked up comparison of the two gauge surrounds:

full

Next up will probably be either the replacement multi-function signal switch, or the removal of the old alarm.

Last edited:

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I can't really be of help with the forum stuff, I just post here lol. I'm not very familiar with XenForo or how the admins have it set up.

I can say that the rear speakers in a load of these trucks are 9.5 ohm - they were in all of my trucks in my sig. I swapped them anyway, to this day have never had a problem running 4s instead of the 9.5s, and the output is much better with aftermarkets than they'll ever be with the Delcos, and it doesn't seem to me that it has any adverse effect on the radio amps.