Built in tool box?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RevRun

Reaction score
Due to an unfortunate run in with a trailer by the previous owner of my 1998 K1500 suburban (read 'jackknife'), I have a pretty heavily mashed in rear passenger quarter panel.
Estimates to fix the damage exceed the value of the rig and its not in 'mint' condition anyway so I am not inclined to dump a ton of money into it and don't really much care if I end up leaving it as is...but...looking at tool/gear storage solutions the other day I had an epiphany. What if I cut out the damage and dropped in a custom fabbed pork chop style tool box? It could be great place to store grimey recovery gear or tools that I don't want inside. It'd have a drain and a locking and sealed door that I imagine would hinge along the top.

Not my truck, but a scribble to demonstrate the idea.
You must be registered for see images attach

Having fabricated a variety of different Aluminum boxes, skidplates, and other do-dads I am confident I can weld up the box. I'd expect to add enough structure to it to allow it to provide at least some support for the remaining panel, riveting/bolting and sealing it in place.

Poking around inside pulling back the interior wheel well paneling it looks like there is a decent sized vacant space under the body skin.
If have enough down time (and beers) I may just go at this thing with a grinder and commit myself to this project.

Does anyone have any experience with the space behind that panel? Any ideas what I may run into?
Pulling the tail light is probably my next step in getting an eyeball back there.

Any feedback is appreciated.