Removing oil filter from the LS engine.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caminonut

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking to find a nice oil filter wrench that will fit into the tight area of the LS motor with the stock aluminum oil pan.
preferably one that will slip up on the oil filter and you could use a 3/8 or half inch drive ratchet to remove.
The ones I have here at my garage work great on a small block and big block Chevy motor, but will not work on the LS.
Thank you for any input or links to what you guys are using. :)

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Isn't just a matter of finding the right size? I've only changed the oil on an LS engine once or twice and I don't recall exactly what I used. I think I was able to use a steel strap wrench, because I remember grabbing one from my uncle, knowing that my Craftsman would be too large (SB and BB sized as you also mentioned). I've also got one of the end cap style, and a nylon strap wrench.

I did split a plastic cap style many years ago, so a stamped steel one might be the way to go. I think the current one I have is plastic and it seems fine, Though.

Sorry, I don't have any specific recommendations.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have a set of cups that have the indents that are supposed to slip on the end and use a 3/8" drive ratchet to remove. 9 out of 10 times, it slips. I then grab the trustworthy steel strap one and it WORKS. Fancy is fancy but only when it works.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have like 6 oil filter tool options in my tool box, it seems like I grab all of them and still end up frustratedly using my finger tips while straining and cursing the GM engineers for putting a tiny filter way up inside the pan like they did :banghead:

Maybe someone has a solution, cause I’d like one too :anitoof:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
AC used to make cup wrenches for their oil filters, with a crossbar across the bottom (closed) side of the cup, with square holes for 1/2" drive ratchet/extension. The silver one is the one for the PF 25/35/1218 larger filters, and there was a gold anodized one that fits the PF44/47/46E that are the small diameter GM filters. The '06 Denali uses the PF46E and it's kinda tucked up there, especially with the AWD components sort of in the way. Dad used AC filters on all our GM vehicles, and so I used that wrench on the oil changes. He also had a plastic cup style with no crossbar, but with a metal plug where the extension fits in. I probably used that one too...been like 5 years since I changed the oil on that rig. Much prefer my 350 Vortecs...more room to work too.
I'll try to remember to get a picture of these, the next time I'm in the shop building (I think all the oil change tools are still in the same box...).

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have a set of cups that have the indents that are supposed to slip on the end and use a 3/8" drive ratchet to remove. 9 out of 10 times, it slips. I then grab the trustworthy steel strap one and it WORKS. Fancy is fancy but only when it works.
I've got the metal strap style and those are great; however the oil filter on the LS engine tends to be harder to reach with it. I grabbed a couple of the filter sockets and have had great luck with them. I think once I had problems with it slipping but it was on a filter someone else had over-tightened (or possibly not lubed the gasket) before I owned the vehicle.

I believe the correct size filter socket for your typical LS filter is the 76-14 - in other words 76mm, 14-flute. Lisle part # 61570, $10 and change from amazon. However if you've got them in stock at the local auto parts, easy enough to snag a new filter off the shelf and be sure you're buying the right socket to match. Anyway, 76-14 is what I'm using on my 2006 model 6.0 LQ9's.

Richard

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What you have to watch out for, with the cups is, you don't want to have the tight fit on the flutes bottom out the cup, right against the 3/8" or 1/2" drive hole for the ratchet or extension. When you put the ratchet or extension in the square hole, you want to push up on the cup to keep it tightly seated. If the filter end is right at the square hole, the square drive will not bottom out and when you try to turn, the cup will back off and slip. Some cups have two sizes on one cup. It is in two stages. They suck.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I think this is the one I have (am at work so can’t confirm)
You must be registered for see images attach
Those have gone up a bit since my parts store days....but so has everything else, so I guess it's all relative.
Most of the time when I tried this style, they would slide around the filter can a bunch before I got it to get tight enough to grab the filter and turn it. With the cup, I just get it properly seated on the flats and lean on my 1/2" Craftsman ratchet. Comes loose every time....
I did have one PF 35 on the '84 burb that was stuck on pretty good. Ended up having to used the chain wrench on that one; crushed the filter but I got the sumbitch off!