Removing oil filter from the LS engine.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have used these when they are very tight. Ruins the filter but who cares. You can even get them with an angled head.

You must be registered for see images attach

caminonut

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the correct size filter socket for your typical LS filter is the 76-14 - in other words 76mm, 14-flute. Lisle part # 61570, $10 and change from amazon. However if you've got them in stock at the local auto parts, easy enough to snag a new filter off the shelf and be sure you're buying the right socket to match. Anyway, 76-14 is what I'm using on my 2006 model 6.0 LQ9's.

Richard
Thanks for all the input from everyone,
Richard,
Thank you for the part number I checked on Amazon and ordered that for $10.38 delivery should be this Friday. We’ll see how it works. :)

Dud1f3r

Reaction score
In my time as a Chevy tech, I used Matco MST60C to get them out, and never found a filter it couldn't take out. Of course, Matco doesn't make their own tools so it's probably so much cheaper to find who they get it from and get that one instead, but I don't know who makes it for them.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
In my time as a Chevy tech, I used Matco MST60C to get them out, and never found a filter it couldn't take out. Of course, Matco doesn't make their own tools so it's probably so much cheaper to find who they get it from and get that one instead, but I don't know who makes it for them.
Matco still has it for $29.95

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a cheapie version of those filter pliers and they didn't work for me, and this is on an "extended" filter on my LQ9 6.0. It still sits in a recess in the oil pan so you can't easily grab it.

My oil filter tool collection.. I've owned the metal strap one since I was a teenager; pretty sure it's a Lisle. Works great except for really tight filters then it slips, and doesn't work on the smaller diameter LS filters of course. Never really had any luck with the pliers but they do seem like cheap knockoffs of the useful version; got 'em in a collection of tools from someone else.

The sockets are what get them for me pretty much every single time. The smaller one fits my LQ9 6.0's, the larger one fits my 6.1 hemi and I'm not sure but it might fit my 7.4. Haven't had that truck long enough to change the oil more than once so I can't recall which tool I ended up using. Socket or the Lisle strap.

Richard

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oof, the teeth on those slip-joint pliers look too smooth. My oil filter pliers are old Mac Tools or Matco, I can't remember which, and they have aggressive teeth. They've never failed to get a filter loose. It might be a ripped up piece of scrap when I'm done, but it's coming off.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Oof, the teeth on those slip-joint pliers look too smooth. My oil filter pliers are old Mac Tools or Matco, I can't remember which, and they have aggressive teeth. They've never failed to get a filter loose. It might be a ripped up piece of scrap when I'm done, but it's coming off.
Yep! Hence my assertion: "Never really had any luck with the pliers but they do seem like cheap knockoffs of the useful version" - the good thing is, I didn't pay much for 'em. I got a whole pile of tools from a friend that was going to be in the joint for quite a few years. I paid his g/f an agreed-upon price that was fair on both sides, and got a lot of useful stuff in the mix, along with a few useless items. It all evened out and it helped her knock out his bills so he could have a clean slate when he got out. Of course the downside is now I've got a bunch of duplicate stuff on the shelf I still need to get rid of, years later.

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I've got a cheapie version of those filter pliers and they didn't work for me, and this is on an "extended" filter on my LQ9 6.0. It still sits in a recess in the oil pan so you can't easily grab it.

My oil filter tool collection.. I've owned the metal strap one since I was a teenager; pretty sure it's a Lisle. Works great except for really tight filters then it slips, and doesn't work on the smaller diameter LS filters of course. Never really had any luck with the pliers but they do seem like cheap knockoffs of the useful version; got 'em in a collection of tools from someone else.

The sockets are what get them for me pretty much every single time. The smaller one fits my LQ9 6.0's, the larger one fits my 6.1 hemi and I'm not sure but it might fit my 7.4. Haven't had that truck long enough to change the oil more than once so I can't recall which tool I ended up using. Socket or the Lisle strap.

Richard
Lisle used to make a smaller version of the band wrench you have. The big one is #53500, and I think the small one is #53700 or #53750. Yes I sold a lot of em, to remember the part #s this many years later.... numbers get stuck in my memory like that.