Project: Mighty S10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Unplug the CTS and put a paper clip in the plug (on the wiring harness) to connect the 2 wires. It will make it exit "choke mode" because it will think its already warm. If the CTS causing your problems, it will run perfectly with a paper clip in it. Do not attempt to start the engine with it unplugged and no paper clip in it, It will flood the BOO-BOO out of it.

98_k1500

Reaction score
No prob, I got a 4.3 powered 88 s10 blazer that i had the CTS go out on about a week after i got it running and caused very similar issues.

98_k1500

Reaction score
Probably not your problem then, Wire should work fine as long as its making connection in the plug. She didn jump time did she?

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My brother-in-law has one of those 2.8L's with a 5spd. He had the same problem with it stalling out if he didn't give it any throttle. Turned out he had MASSIVE vacuum leaks from the TBI mounting gaskets, various vacuum lines, the charcoal canister, and leaking fuel injectors. It runs like a sewing machine at 228kmi. We also got rid of all the plastic vacuum line junk under the hood.

What's the lowest you can idle the engine before it dies? Have you reset the computer yet? Have you tried spraying around the motor with ether to check for any vacuum leaks?

Radio517

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't had any help to check for a vacuum leak. Unless it will hold it for a few after it dies. I can put my foot to the floor and it won't run. It runs great for the 5 seconds it does run. How do I reset the computer?

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How do I reset the computer?

Unhook the battery for about 15min. That should do it. Yeah, checking vacuum leaks alone are no fun. Have you traced all of the vacuum lines to make sure they're all hooked up? Are the connections snug at least? I'm at least curious about vacuum leaks. These other guys could also very well be on the right path but judging by the condition of that truck... I could bet it's got a few vacuum leaks.

Radio517

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All vacuum lines are hooked up, I believe. Don't think it's timing because of the way it runs. Oil pressure sensor, sender, switch. What ever you want to call it. Will be replaced, hopefully tomorrow. The guage stays at about 80 all the time.