600 dollar S10 project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LUDLOW

Reaction score
So earlier this year I had gotten really interested in doing a V8 S10 swap, watched a few build series, read some build threads, and convinced myself I could get this done with minimal time and effort despite being a total novice. so I purchased a 2.2 5 speed S10 with the intention of bolting the V8 to that transmission, of course this is a terrible idea and if I had properly researched this I would have waited to find a 4.3 5 speed S10 or sonoma with the beefier NV3500 transmission used in full size GM trucks with V8s.

regardless the deal was done so I had to source my transmission elsewhere and focus on my engine while making this truck less ugly.
You must be registered for see images attach

although this was a questionable purchase, the truck is actually pretty solid. very minor rust, runs good, shifts good, stops, only 125K on the odometer. just not very easy to look at :p

Last edited:

LUDLOW

Reaction score
after driving it 50 miles home, I was honestly embarrassed. so the SUV sized car cover was quickly draped over it.
now the goal was to fix up the appearance without going over budget since I still had to buy a motor, transmission, accessories, and all of the V8 swap specific parts. so I started dismantling the truck and prepping it for paint.

LUDLOW

Reaction score

while it was mostly apart I started cleaning up the frame and painting it, also ordered a 2 - 3 inch lowering kit.

after the steering knuckles were installed and the frame was painted I started working my way back, sanding and painting as I go.

LUDLOW

Reaction score

new shocks and lowering blocks :p

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Looking good so far. Hope you're considering some Caltracs or something. That 3 leaf spring pack, is going to wrap, and hop like crazy.

If you want to improve night vision, a 95-97 Blazer grille and headlight is a good way to go, and can be done cheap. Did it on a 96 I use to have...

LUDLOW

Reaction score
hey that looks great! I never noticed the blazer grill was different from the ones on the pickup. and I'll look into the Caltracs or something similar.

frame cleaned up nice! so when it comes to the paint job I don't have many options; there isn't a MAACO shop anywhere near me, the other shops within distance won't do anything for less than a thousand, and I don't have access to a garage.

this is my solution; a flimsy outdoor canopy, a few tarps, and some rattle can spray paint LOL. again a few youtube videos later and I'm painting a truck in the driveway. I guess we'll see how it turns out.

painted the door jams, sanded the exterior, masked the windows and door handles, filled in a few dents, now it's ready for primer and a base coat.

Last edited:

LUDLOW

Reaction score

while I finished up the cab I painted the fenders, bumper, lower valance, and hood separately.

with the front end mostly together I finally removed some of the tape and newspaper.