2001 Chevrolet S10 Blazer Daily Driver Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK 99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have an '04 ZR2 that is 2wd with a 5 speed (you read that right) and it only got 17 mpg with the stock tires. Just one time, I squeaked 18mpg out of it. I lowered it and put much smaller tires on it, the mpg seems to be better now, but it's hard to say since the speedo is so far off. It's much quicker feeling though, lol.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

So the S10's been running good, and it actually looks pretty good too, but it does have a few blemishes

I've determined that all the paint is original except the hood (probably the grille too) and the rear bumper.

I definitely have to replace this hood due to the rust forming in the middle. If it were just delamination, I'd just strip it and paint it.

This WA9088 is a bit of a difficult color to match, so I'm looking at finding a used hood the same color.

This one looks about right, but it could easily be WA379E. $100 (I talked him down) is what a junkyard around here would charge for a wrong color hood, so if it doesn't end up matching, it wouldn't be any more out of pocket than it would've been otherwise to paint it (Also I wouldn't have to paint the underside).

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also need to do the rear bumper as it seems that granny might've backed into a few things over the years.

I took my little 4 oz. can of touch up paint and dusted a little bit over the damage using my little airbrush I use for model making.

It doesn't look too bad, but I'm definitely going to be on the lookout for some better bumper corners (maybe silver ones for when I two tone it.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man this old hood looks bad, new one is rust free though.

Now onto some other important things, like a lift kit.

This thing needs 31's and some American Racing Outlaw 2's. In order to clear them, I'm gonna need to raise it about an inch or two.

I might also get a spare tire carrier.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Man, the hood is just as advertised, it doesn't even have too many rock chips.

And the paint match is perfect (I guess GM was pretty consistent back then).

I guess all this thing needs now is a good wax job.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also want to do some modifications like changing out the front end to the '94-'97 style with sealed beam headlights (kinda like what I did to the suburban). It may also get a manual swap at some point.

I used these H4-bulb headlights on my 1995 Blazer, they do a very nice job of illuminating the road. They have a sharp cutoff and broad pattern but they are not an E-code headlamp.

HELLA p/n 00888810 Vision Plus Conversion Headlights

Dan Stern (of Daniel Stern Lighting) may have other suggestions, as that's a standard-sized headlamp and E-code compliant lamps may be available from him.

www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I'm gonna have to start drilling holes in this thing unfortunately.

Holes to mount all my antennas and radios for storm season. I need to mount a CB, a 2 Meter, A 70CM, and a GMRS.

That's 4 antennas, plus a mount a cell signal booster and an amber beacon that need go go on the roof.

(This damn this is going to look like a porcupine).
For the radios themselves, I think I'm going to rip out the center console and put them between the seats.

I'm not going to mount them up front under the dash since I may be manual swapping this thing one day.

Any fellow Ham's out there with advice? (KF0IGL)