My 2001 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious.
On a LS engine without a tune is there any advantage running premium over regular gas?
Owners manual says to use fuel at least 87 octane.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not had much to post about since getting this 2001 Suburban as there is really noting i need to do that leads to other things.
I want to toss money at it but can't decide on what i want. No vision for what it needs to be i guess.
Looking at the $600 RC Leveling kit but kinda "meh" about it.
I would like different wheels as the PYO's are not really my thing but finding a good looking wheel with no poke is impossible.
A new stage 1 cam and valve springs would be nice along with a tune i suppose.
I need to get the windows tinted but thats a pita as it's 50 miles away and need an appointment.
Maybe im just burned out on fixing up rig's

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My thinking is it's better than gmt400 with a couple exceptions.
GMT400 looks better. A vortec 454 is better power wise.
A Vortec 454 has more get up and go over a LS6.0. very noticeable difference, but i do need to get over to HPTuners and see if someone is willing to help tune it for me.
The Vortec 454 would get between 14 and 15 MPG at 60 mph. The 6.0 gets between 15 and 16 MPG at 60 MPH. They both will fall to 10ish MPG above 65 or more
My GMT800 has a quieter tighter interior over the 1998. I was surprised at how much quieter it is actually.
I have not towed anything yet so i can't say about that.
Both my 1998 and 2001 are rust free.
Ride quality is hard to tell. the 1998 had new shocks and the ride was good.
The 2001 has Autoride but not the leveling feature. So it's a early magnetic ride, shocks like escalade's. Sometimes almost to squishy and others almost to firm. Just around town is good though.

RanchWelder

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great Thread... I have the exact same K2500 in near mint condition Traveller package, Blown 7.4L engine because the oil pump tube fell off and the driver did not stop for 15 miles without oil. I was told it was pulled over before sever damage.

I would expect higher oil pressure on your engine, and you should figure out why it is so low... or end up like my truck.
Was told it was pulled to the side of road before any sever damage. (Wrong)...

Oil pressure should be 40-60 psi, with clean oil and filter, after startup at warm idle.

Your oil pump is weak, the oil pump tube screen or the back flow oil cooler line "check-ball valves" (x2) are clogged, (or both).
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
You must be registered for see images attach

Oh yah, I just bought 2 of these, which I cannot use anymore BECAUSE MY ENGINE IS RUINED...

You would be well advised to change the oil pump, replace the oil pump drive shaft, with an ARP or similar shaft, which uses a steel connection between the distributor gear shaft and the oil pump. NO PLASTIC GM CONNECTOR BETWEEN SHAFTS!

WHEN this plastic parts breaks, or the poorly brazed pickup tube falls off, your oil will NOT flow and you MAY be replacing, instead of repairing your expensive engine.

PM me for the back flow valve check-ball parts, still sealed in the bag from AZ, brand new from last week. Thes fit the 7.4L.

In any event, when you change these you need an new oil filter housing gasket and most likely new rubber lines to the oil cooler. (Seals, o-rings, new hose clamp clips... etc...)

Or ignore the low pressure and ruin your engine too.
Leaking o-rings at every hose will also give you low pressure...

Good luck!

Last edited:

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great Thread... I have the exact same K2500 in near mint condition Traveller package, Blown 7.4L engine because the oil pump tube fell off and the driver did not stop for 15 miles without oil. I was told it was pulled over before sever damage.

I would expect higher oil pressure on your engine, and you should figure out why it is so low... or end up like my truck.
Was told it was pulled to the side of road before any sever damage. (Wrong)...

Oil pressure should be 40-60 psi, with clean oil and filter, after startup at warm idle.

Your oil pump is weak, the oil pump tube screen or the back flow oil cooler line "check-ball valves" (x2) are clogged, (or both).
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
You must be registered for see images attach

Oh yah, I just bought 2 of these, which I cannot use anymore BECAUSE MY ENGINE IS RUINED...

You would be well advised to change the oil pump, replace the oil pump drive shaft, with an ARP or similar shaft, which uses a steel connection between the distributor gear shaft and the oil pump. NO PLASTIC GM CONNECTOR BETWEEN SHAFTS!

WHEN this plastic parts breaks, or the poorly brazed pickup tube falls off, your oil will NOT flow and you MAY be replacing, instead of repairing your expensive engine.

PM me for the back flow valve check-ball parts, still sealed in the bag from AZ, brand new from last week. Thes fit the 7.4L.

In any event, when you change these you need an new oil filter housing gasket and most likely new rubber lines to the oil cooler. (Seals, o-rings, new hose clamp clips... etc...)

Or ignore the low pressure and ruin your engine too.
Leaking o-rings at every hose will also give you low pressure...

Good luck!
Wrong thread, and
I no longer own the 1998 Suburban.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My thinking is it's better than gmt400 with a couple exceptions.
GMT400 looks better. A vortec 454 is better power wise.
A Vortec 454 has more get up and go over a LS6.0. very noticeable difference, but i do need to get over to HPTuners and see if someone is willing to help tune it for me.
The Vortec 454 would get between 14 and 15 MPG at 60 mph. The 6.0 gets between 15 and 16 MPG at 60 MPH. They both will fall to 10ish MPG above 65 or more
My GMT800 has a quieter tighter interior over the 1998. I was surprised at how much quieter it is actually.
I have not towed anything yet so i can't say about that.
Both my 1998 and 2001 are rust free.
Ride quality is hard to tell. the 1998 had new shocks and the ride was good.
The 2001 has Autoride but not the leveling feature. So it's a early magnetic ride, shocks like escalade's. Sometimes almost to squishy and others almost to firm. Just around town is good though.
Thanks for your insight. :waytogo: