Polish chrome bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mildphil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just picked this bumper up from the junk yard, but after taking off the license plate holder, there is an obvious difference between the brilliance of the chrome. I don't plan on putting the license plate holder back on. Any reccomendations on how to polish the bumper will be appreciated.

You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Probably any polish and sufficient elbow grease will get it looking good, but my choice is Wenol (red tube) - it's practically magic. Those foam drill attachments can save you some work, too, but they're a little pricey. I wouldn't get that unless you have some bare aluminum wheels to polish, too.

Richard

Mildphil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably any polish and sufficient elbow grease will get it looking good, but my choice is Wenol (red tube) - it's practically magic. Those foam drill attachments can save you some work, too, but they're a little pricey. I wouldn't get that unless you have some bare aluminum wheels to polish, too.

Richard
I've never heard of wenol, but I do have bare aluminum rims that may benefit from it. How does it stack up against mothers mag& aluminum polish?

Mildphil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've never heard of wenol, but I do have bare aluminum rims that may benefit from it. How does it stack up against mothers mag& aluminum polish?
Update: I did some research and people swear by wenol for chrome and aluminum. From what I read, mothers was inadequate for good chrome polishing.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
White diamond metal polish. Just look at my aluminum tail gate banner, and rims

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
White diamond metal polish. Just look at my aluminum tail gate banner, and rims

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
White diamond metal polish. Just look at my aluminum tail gate banner, and rims.

Mildphil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
White diamond metal polish. Just look at my aluminum tail gate banner, and rims.
Wow that's like a mirror, I like it. I polished my rims a few months ago but they are going to need some TLC soon.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow that's like a mirror, I like it. I polished my rims a few months ago but they are going to need some TLC soon.

Get some white diamond metal polish. Its just over $15 a bottle, but a little goes a long way. You wont be disapointed. Use the white diamond as a final step. My rims were only done with white diamond. My tail gate banner, I buffed out first with some triple and then white jewelers rouge, on a cotton pad buff. Kind of like what you have done with your drill. Then the white diamond. I have also done some work under my hood. The AC compressor, and alt, I sanded, and buffed first, but the AC lines, I only did with white diamond. I am still on my first bottle of white diamond.

Last edited:

Mildphil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get some white diamond metal polish. Its just over $15 a bottle, but a little goes a long way. You wont be disapointed.
I may just get that and wenol, I'll find uses for them. I had mothers sitting around and it definitely is not suited for chrome. It cleans it up well, but the chrome is just too hard for it to really work.

Mildphil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get some white diamond metal polish. Its just over $15 a bottle, but a little goes a long way. You wont be disapointed. Use the white diamond as a final step. My rims were only done with white diamond. My tail gate banner, I buffed out first with some triple and then white jewelers rouge, on a cotton pad buff. Kind of like what you have done with your drill. Then the white diamond. I have also done some work under my hood. The AC compressor, and alt, I sanded, and buffed first, but the AC lines, I only did with white diamond. I am still on my first bottle of white diamond.
Damn, that looks like a show car shine. What do you mean by "triple" ?

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I may just get that and wenol, I'll find uses for them. I had mothers sitting around and it definitely is not suited for chrome. It cleans it up well, but the chrome is just too hard for it to really work.

Chrome is a different animal then polishing aluminum. Mothers Mag polish is too abrasive for chrome. Though Mothers does have a product for chrome that's excellent and the ONLY product I will use on bikes. Your basically sanding the surface with the mag polish. In your first photos I can see reflections clearly and the after photo the reflections are blurry. It's very hard to get chrome back once you dull it.

I clean chrome bumpers with 000 steel wool and windex then the Mothers chrome polish.

Last edited: