Polish chrome bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I've used Turtle Wax Chrome polish on my bumpers, still doesn't completely restore it, but then again I didn't put too much time into them and didn't have a buffer. I'll have to try some Wenol or White Diamond sometime.

Mildphil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Chrome is a different animal then polishing aluminum. Mothers Mag polish is too abrasive for chrome. Though Mothers does have a product for chrome that's excellent and the ONLY product I will use on bikes. Your basically sanding the surface with the mag polish. In your first photos I can see reflections clearly and the after photo the reflections are blurry. It's very hard to get chrome back once you dull it.

I clean chrome bumpers with 000 steel wool and windex then the Mothers chrome polish.
I did test it on my old bumper and on several spots on the new bumper with no obvious changes in luster. I also shined a light to make sure it was doing something and it didn't introduce any swirls. Maybe I didn't polish it long enough to hurt it? I had also used 0000 steel wool +Remington oil to remove some rust and I did notice that introduced some minor swirls.

Update: I did some research and no one should use anything but chrome polish on chrome, as bare metal polish (like the mothers) will scratch the chrome with excess use and pressure (this is according to mothers themselves) . Luckily I think I didn't do much since I went real fast and didn't use much product, but now I and anyone reading this will know for next time. Wish I would have read the label!

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Chrome is a different animal then polishing aluminum. Mothers Mag polish is too abrasive for chrome. Though Mothers does have a product for chrome that's excellent and the ONLY product I will use on bikes. Your basically sanding the surface with the mag polish. In your first photos I can see reflections clearly and the after photo the reflections are blurry. It's very hard to get chrome back once you dull it.

I clean chrome bumpers with 000 steel wool and windex then the Mothers chrome polish.
Yes, chrome is very hard. Your steeps are grate, but after all of that, a finish buff with white Diamond will help, and it also has a sealer in it, so it will help to keep its shine.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did test it on my old bumper and on several spots on the new bumper with no obvious changes in luster. I also shined a light to make sure it was doing something and it didn't introduce any swirls. Maybe I didn't polish it long enough to hurt it? I had also used 0000 steel wool +Remington oil to remove some rust and I did notice that introduced some minor swirls.

Update: I did some research and no one should use anything but chrome polish on chrome, as bare metal polish (like the mothers) will scratch the chrome with excess use and pressure (this is according to mothers themselves) . Luckily I think I didn't do much since I went real fast and didn't use much product, but now I and anyone reading this will know for next time. Wish I would have read the label!

I kinda put it out there as a warning. I'm pretty sure it's even on the can not to use on chrome. I have replaced some high dollar motorcycle parts where people have dipped a rag in a tub of mag polish and went around and did the one finger rub and absolutely destroyed them. Those kind of parts are Hexavalent chrome plated(or at least used to be) and really have a mirror finish. A step above what most bumpers look like new. The wrong rag will leave swirl marks.

The Wenol mentioned is much finer then mag polish. The stuff Kenny mentioned if it's the same stuff I used(faded/peeling labels but very similar white bottle) more of a liquid then a paste is also good on shining up some roughed up bumpers.

Chrome can be burned through polishing, and I've done it. There's just not much thickness to work with and one of those things where the attempt for perfection ends in destruction. You have to know when to stop.

Last edited:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, chrome is very hard. Your steeps are grate, but after all of that, a finish buff with white Diamond will help, and it also has a sealer in it, so it will help to keep its shine.

You posted while I was typing. lol I believe I have used that stuff before. Good stuff if it's the same thing. I've tried lots of different things over the years, Flitz, Simichrome, plenty of off the wall brands, and even some concoctions that a big rig pro polish guy gave me that were made from compound bar and diesel fuel. It worked just as well as store bought.

The Mothers chrome polish also has a protective component to it and there's something in it that breaks down rust fuzz as I call it. Wax works too to help keep the shine longer.

Last edited:

Mildphil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is this stuff good? There wasn't much available at the store.

You must be registered for see images attach

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
IDK give it a try, and see what you get, then let us know. I do have some other metal polish in my collection of polishes, but I havent found anything that does whay white diamond does. That stuff is amazing.

Mildphil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also here's my bumper up close after the mag polish.
Thank you all for your help so far, I really appreciate it. Learning something new everyday.