Piece of aluminum chipped off my Tbi injector casting and got sucked down my throttle body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
This reminds me of my Buick 430.... either it spun a bearing, or it swallowed a large washer. I think the washer fell onto the road, and a bearing spun. Maybe one day I'll find out, as the engine is still sitting on my engine stand. The car has since gone to the scrap yard after I pulled a lot of parts.

OP, I hope you figure out where the piece went, and it didn't damage the engine.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

1. Might be a zinc casting, not aluminum. I'm not sure, and I'm too lazy to go to the shop and start investigating.

2. Good chance the engine chewed that up, and spit it out. If you don't find it anywhere else...it'll be in the catalytic converter.

3. When that O-ring pops free, it's going to blow gasoline all over, for as long as the fuel pump runs.

phantom 309

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's quite a bit to unpack here,. how did it chip off? ( tell the truth )
you were running it at full throttle till it flooded,.? i'm not sure i understand that i've had numerous big chev motors over the last 45 yrs or so,. i don't know how much fuel you'd have to put thru it to make it quit,. also those 90's motors don't have much quench,. and the valves don't open very far,.
SO,. a 1/4X1/2" piece depending on its location and orientation,. i would guess its hung up in a port,. its definitely NOT in the combustion chamber, if that big a piece did make it past the valve it would have shattered the factory cast piston thru the pin boss, You have stated no noise motor turns easy,
i would rent the inspection camera and look down the intake at each port,. I use a chisel to witness mark the dizzy,. and a marker to line the rotor to the housing,.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
you were running it at full throttle till it flooded,.? i'm not sure i understand that i've had numerous big chev motors over the last 45 yrs or so,. i don't know how much fuel you'd have to put thru it to make it quit,
Probably fuel-fouled the plugs. I've had a bad CTS do the same. Run at high idle at first then it's dumping so much fuel the plugs foul, as the idle speed gets slower and slower the IAC goes full open trying to keep it from stalling, but it quits anyway. Got to let the plugs dry (or clean 'em yourself) before it would start again.

Richard