454 Throttle body or 46-47mm modified 350 TB?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there another reason for the spacer other than creating room for the injectors(and a source for filtered air for crankcase ventilation)?

Getting rid of the spacer and using a flat base would do what the salad bowl does, and the huge 46220 filter would not hurt either, but obviously the aircleaner assembly needs to be taller too.

I'm going to be a bit stuborn and refuse using one of the oh so popular 14" "hot air intakes". Going for factree look and cold, silent factree air :)

Amazon says the 46220 will fit our truck (it won't, the filter thats in there is only about 3-4" tall) so there has to be some kind of heavy duty/large capacity air cleaner assembly for the early gmt400 trucks I guess?

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be a bit stuborn and refuse using one of the oh so popular 14" "hot air intakes". Going for factree look and cold, silent factree air :)
Yeah, we've gone round and round about this CAI vs HAI and air flow, or lack there of, through the OE intake. I'm a firm believer, the restriction of the snorkel, going through the diverter inside the fender, and fed by a little port behind the headlight (I've posted pics of these on other threads) is way worse than the free flowing air cleaner. Even Engine Masters proved the size of the air cleaner makes a big difference on the dyno. IMHO, with a pumped up and/or stroked engine turning 6K, that restriction is more detrimental than the so called "Hot Air Intake". In a perfect world, a hood vent or 2 is a better way to go. My EBL is set up for an Intake Air Temp sensor, which can retard timing based on that. I just need to get one and install it. Vortecs already have that IAT.

Last edited:

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes there was!
Seems to have come on 3500 7.4l and some others...
Not sure if it still uses the spacer but I think it does going by the fact that the base looks the same and possibly only the lid is taller.

This particular one is off a 454 2500 Suburban
You must be registered for see images attach
uburban

Last edited:

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
...the restriction of the snorkel, going through the diverter inside the fender, and fed by a little port behind the headlight (I've posted pics of these on other threads) is way worse than the free flowing air cleaner.

Agreed, the factory intake by the headligt has to go, and probably the silencer too. Thanks for posting that pic by the way. I had seen it IRL already just did not cross my mind the engine was breathing through that tiny thing :)