Piece of aluminum chipped off my Tbi injector casting and got sucked down my throttle body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95gmcguy

Reaction score
There's quite a bit to unpack here,. how did it chip off? ( tell the truth)
I went on about a two hour drive, (pretty normal it's my daily driver) when I got back into town I filled up at the gas station, started it, pulled up to the stop sign and the engine stalled. I then restarted it, it struggled so I gave it some throttle, let off the throttle then it stalled again. I then got out, popped off the air cleaner to find gas dumping into the intake and saw the casting was chipped.

Now for the update... the articulating borescope finally arrived and I was able to start searching, I went through the intake manifold and all the cylinders and found nothing, no signs of damage. It was truly impressive the difference between a borescope that works and the one I rented from AutoZone. Anyways I figured I'd change the oil to see if I find any glittery metal and found nothing so I decided to throw on the new part and everything back together and start it up and... yup no problems just a whole lotta worry lol. I assume that piece either got chewed up and went out the exhaust or it never went in at all. I went on a drive up the Oregon coast all day yesterday and had no problems at all!

Thanks to everyone for the help, info, and support, I appreciate you all!

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I went on about a two hour drive, (pretty normal it's my daily driver) when I got back into town I filled up at the gas station, started it, pulled up to the stop sign and the engine stalled. I then restarted it, it struggled so I gave it some throttle, let off the throttle then it stalled again. I then got out, popped off the air cleaner to find gas dumping into the intake and saw the casting was chipped.

Now for the update... the articulating borescope finally arrived and I was able to start searching, I went through the intake manifold and all the cylinders and found nothing, no signs of damage. It was truly impressive the difference between a borescope that works and the one I rented from AutoZone. Anyways I figured I'd change the oil to see if I find any glittery metal and found nothing so I decided to throw on the new part and everything back together and start it up and... yup no problems just a whole lotta worry lol. I assume that piece either got chewed up and went out the exhaust or it never went in at all. I went on a drive up the Oregon coast all day yesterday and had no problems at all!

Thanks to everyone for the help, info, and support, I appreciate you all!
How far up the Oregon Coast? That is a great drive. Don't tell me you visited the Sea Lion Caves.....

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fortunately big block with big valves and a light piece of aluminum. Probably sucked it in,swirled it around and spit it out the the exhaust. I wouldn't worry about it in the convertor either,probably already melted down and blown through that too.