Piece of aluminum chipped off my Tbi injector casting and got sucked down my throttle body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the aluminum casting that the injectors go into for the TBI on my 454 chipped off near the jet of one of the injectors and got pulled through the throttle body. Sadly my plan is to remove the intake manifold and see if I can find it (it's about a 1/4" x 1/2" piece of aluminum) this means I'll have to remove the distributor which I'm a little nervous about messing up the timing. Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated, how far you you guys think it went? I'll try to post pictures soon.

Greetings @95gmcguy,

Those photos will be a big help to us trying to figure out the probabilities of the foreign object's shape
and size are the reason why your engine hasn't yet developed alarming hammering noises from one of your
cylinders? For example, a ball bearing dropped into one of the TBI throats and makes it past the throttle
blade *will* make it to one of the 8 intake valves, and unless it's diameter is bigger than the valve lift, it's
going into the cylinder with ugly consequences.

On the other hand, IF the shape is such that it got lodged at/near the valve stem and couldn't make the
turn around the short side radius of the intake port & into the cylinder, then *Voila* you dodged a bullet.

In a perfect world you will remove the least number of engine components in order to retrieve that foreign
object. As others have already suggested, the borescope is the best way to do just that. In a previous
life (thanks to the zero tolerance for leaving a loose foreign object behind anywhere in the aircraft) I've
had the (dis)pleasure of borescoping, sometimes for minutes, other times for hours on end, for *exactly*
the same FOD situation as you are facing. Given this, the following is based upon extensive firsthand
experience:

* The camera head must be small enough to fit through whatever opening you have available. For example,
the 5/8" spark plugs in your BBC actually use a 14mm thread in the head. In turn, 14mm threads require
a ~12.7mm drill bit in order to prep for the tapping process. Ergo, a >12mm camera head diameter is a non-starter.
Keep this in the back of your mind while shopping for your borescope.

* Picture quality is key. When working on aircraft we'd borrow the engine shop's borescope, and the picture
quality was pretty good -- of course, given the $$$$ of their kit, it should be. Point is, I've then tried to use
cheap borescopes in the civilian world back in the day, and it always ended up as an exercise in frustration.
Especially the units where they included everything (camera + display) in the low purchase price.

* In your case, the ability to capture > store > upload your pics so that the rest of the GMT400 community
can see what you are seeing is key. The really affordable stuff doesn't have that capability, so it would be you
with your camera taking pics of the low res borescope display. And thanks to normal ambient lighting this only
ends up taking a marginal image and making it worse.

* Non-articulating camera bodies are OK for taking a look at a home's HVAC ducting, but is not going to
be of much help inside an engine. For example, a rigid camera body that fits through a spark plug hole
can give you a look straight on at the top of the piston, BUT it can't bend itself 180° in order to take a
look at the all-important valves/combustion chamber surfaces.

Given the 4 borescope criteria listed above, you are going to want to want to either borrow, rent, or invest in
a borescope with this level of functionality: Amazon Link

If you followed that link, you'll see that the price of admission is ~$160. Admittedly not cheap, but if
it helps you to find/fix this yourself instead of involving a garage/dealership, then it will have paid for
itself many times over on it's very first use. (!) And everything after that is pure gravy.

NOTE: The frugal cheap b@st@rd Road Trip is always tempted to try to get out of a jam without
breaking the piggy bank, but in this case I'd rather just open up the engine with no borescope
instead of using a $30 non-articulating unit like this and risk giving myself a bad case of coprolalia: NOT THE ONE TO BUY FOR INTERNAL ENGINE RECON

NOTE: If it's any help, I can't believe how much functionality is in that $160 unit. Years ago the
jet engine shop guys had the no-kidding articulating camera bodies, but the picture quality was so-so,
and the price of admission was astronomical.

I was going to give some pointers on the distributor setup, but you are already in good hands, so
I would simply recommend that you get the engine to TDC on the compression stroke for #1 cylinder,
mark where the rotor is pointing as well as a reference mark between the distributor base to the intake
manifold...and then be sure to DISCONNECT the battery. I don't how many times either myself or a buddy
has accidentally prematurely engaged the starter while the dizzy was still out...Fudge! :0)

Hope this helps you with what to look for when trying to find a foreign object somewhere in the
tight confines of your 454. I'm also hoping for clear photos of the 'chipped' area. And not if but
when you find the foreign object really clear photos would be a valuable future reference for anyone
else that might end up traveling down the same path as yourself. And if you either borrow, rent, or
invest in a capable borescope and find it that way, I'll be downright giddy. (Can't help it -- that's the
way I always felt when we'd find that dropped fastener deep in the nether regions of the cockpit
after a lengthy borescope session.)

Best of luck in your search!

Last edited:

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...and just to prove that buying a name brand item is no guarantee that it has
the necessary functionality despite a $$$$ price tag, here's a pro unit with
a non-articulating camera body? Hi Res look only at the piston surface?

A good articulating borescope is simply cheating to win.

A bad borescope is worse than no borescope at all. Promise. :0)

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How big is this piece of aluminum?
That was my first question as well. Aluminum pieces down the intake are far less worrying than steel or iron. If you're in any way familiar with Ford 4.6/5.4 motors, they have a propensity to spit the spark plugs out, stripping the threads in the head. Been there, done that, got the tool but no t-shirt. The re-threading kit has a fixture to hold your drill and tap straight while you clean out the old threads and cut new ones, with the head still in place. Clean the threads, shoot some compressed air into the spark plug hole to flush some of the shavings out, install the thread insert, and run it. Any shavings left behind are inconsequential.

For a 1/4"x 1/2" chunk of aluminum? That's a bit scarier.

It seemed to run smoothly before I took the keys out. There was no noises or anything that made me think It caused to much damage!
Most likely it didn't go down the intake and you haven't found it, or it's stuck behind a valve, or it went on through. Borescope the intake ports from the TBI side. If it's not there, borescope the cylinders and make sure it hasn't punched itself into the edge of the top of a piston and pinched a ring land. If it punched itself into the center of a piston, it's a gamble. It could cause detonation or possibly punch through the top of the piston.

If you're really lucky, the intake valve pummeled it into smaller chunks and it passed on through like a lithotripsied kidney stone and out the exhaust port.

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That was my first question as well. Aluminum pieces down the intake are far less worrying than steel or iron. If you're in any way familiar with Ford 4.6/5.4 motors, they have a propensity to spit the spark plugs out, stripping the threads in the head. Been there, done that, got the tool but no t-shirt. The re-threading kit has a fixture to hold your drill and tap straight while you clean out the old threads and cut new ones, with the head still in place. Clean the threads, shoot some compressed air into the spark plug hole to flush some of the shavings out, install the thread insert, and run it. Any shavings left behind are inconsequential.
LOL... just had to do that on a buddy's Civic this past wknd that grenaded a coil and absolutely destroyed the plug. The only part of the plug that we could fish out of the coil bore, amongst the coil pieces, was the threads of the plug itself, which of course had stripped out the alum threads in the head. I used the 14mm rethreader kit from Auto Zone that uses a socket/ratchet to do the work, so no drilling... slick. It ran pretty well, considering the electrodes and insulator had already gone on down. Still don't know if there was any permanent damage done, but the rethreading kit was cool beans.

95gmcguy

Reaction score
Well everyone, the only borescope I could get my hands on was a rental from AutoZone it gave me a little look into each cylinder but as @Road Trip mentioned without an articulating one with a good display it doesn't tell you much so I ordered a decent one online. In the meantime all the pistons looked fine and I could kinda see the valves, from what I saw there isn't any damage (So Far)! I stuck it down the intake as well and couldn't find the aluminum sitting in there but with the crappy borescope I couldn't get down very far. For now I'm going to wait to take the intake/heads off till I get the better borescope(on the 3rd).

I'm trying to upload a picture of the casting it chipped off of but it keeps saying security error so as soon as I figure that out you guys will get pictures!