454 Throttle body or 46-47mm modified 350 TB?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmm 3 question marks... I'm going to interpret that as both PlayingWithTBI and the pirate are 2WD/C1500 boys and that launching a K1500 in 4WD is absolutely fine :)

Last edited:

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just going to update with a bit of information I stumbled upon regarding the 454 TBI´s
Old news for some I´m sure, but here goes.

There is an Early and a Late Model Throttle body, The Early 454 model is very much like the 350 throttle body, but with bigger Blades and larger IAC passage. The later 454 has a different foot print and much revised IAC passages.

Even the 350 Throttle bodies come in at least three revisions. All three have changes done the IAC passages. Some versions of the 350 TBI´s seem to have more meat left for the gasket to seal against when enlarged to 46mm than others.

Picture from Thirdgen.org
You must be registered for see images attach

Early 88-90 350 Throttle Body

One of the Later Model 350 TB´s

Yet another but slightly different Early TB, Not a lot of meat around the bores here, on the other hand it does look like the bores are larger than stock, not listed as such on ebay though

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just going to update with a bit of information I stumbled upon regarding the 454 TBI´s
Old news for some I´m sure, but here goes.

There is an Early and a Late Model Throttle body, The Early 454 model is very much like the 350 throttle body, but with bigger Blades and larger IAC passage. The later 454 has a different foot print and much revised IAC passages.

Even the 350 Throttle bodies come in at least three revisions. All three have changes done the IAC passages. Some versions of the 350 TBI´s seem to have more meat left for the gasket to seal against when enlarged to 46mm than others.

Picture from Thirdgen.org

Early 88-90 350 Throttle Body

One of the Later Model 350 TB´s

Yet another but slightly different Early TB, Not a lot of meat around the bores here, on the other hand it does look like the bores are larger than stock, not listed as such on ebay though

The last TBI pictured looks like a bored out SBC TBI.

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The last TBI pictured looks like a bored out SBC TBI.
Yes I think so too. The picture is from Ebay and the seller has several TB´s listed, both standard and 46mm. I think he/they just mixed up the pictures. Still the IAC channel is different than the other two 350 TB´s. Obviously GM has done a fair bit of tweaking here.

The Reason I´ve been paying attention to this is that otherwise informative page on the Interwebs where it is advised against using a 454 TB on a 350 because of alleged idle control issues. I think if there is any truth to that It might be related to the use of the late style 454 TB. At least I hope so because I´ve decided to go with the early 454 TB :)

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes I think so too. The picture is from Ebay and the seller has several TB´s listed, both standard and 46mm. I think he/they just mixed up the pictures. Still the IAC channel is different than the other two 350 TB´s. Obviously GM has done a fair bit of tweaking here.

The Reason I´ve been paying attention to this is that otherwise informative page on the Interwebs where it is advised against using a 454 TB on a 350 because of alleged idle control issues. I think if there is any truth to that It might be related to the use of the late style 454 TB. At least I hope so because I´ve decided to go with the early 454 TB :)
I have used both styles on a small block without idle issues. Some 4.3Ls even had the large footprint later style 454 TBI without issues.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think if there is any truth to that It might be related to the use of the late style 454 TB. At least I hope so because I´ve decided to go with the early 454 TB :)
With which injectors at what pressure?

I have used both styles on a small block without idle issues.
Same question, with which injectors at what pressure?

I'm genuinely curious because I may go down that road too. As you may recall, I'm getting 90 MAP with WOT at higher revs up to 5700, on my 46 mm TB (on a 3704 intake manifold bored to 48mm). I have no problem achieving 12.5 AFR with my 61 LB/Hr (5.7L) injectors at 20 PSI.

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IDK. But I get what you are talking about,

Same question, with which injectors at what pressure?

I'm genuinely curious because I may go down that road too. As you may recall, I'm getting 90 MAP with WOT at higher revs up to 5700, on my 46 mm TB (on a 3704 intake manifold bored to 48mm). I have no problem achieving 12.5 AFR with my 61 LB/Hr (5.7L) injectors at 20 PSI.
IDK about the injectors. Are you running the stock TBI Throttle body to Air cleaner spacer? I think that could be somewhat restrictive.

I'm going to fab something up so I could use a flat base air cleaner on the throttle body, that means using a 1-2" taller filter element than stock. Not sure if such a filter exist in stock (13"?)diameter?

Edit: I guess it does:)
WIX 46220
Is that one perhaps for the 454 trucks?

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you running the stock TBI Throttle body to Air cleaner spacer?
Yes, I am. Look up "TBI salad bowl spacer", they say it helps. YMMV

Edit: here's one.

I'm going to fab something up so I could use a flat base air cleaner on the throttle body, that means using a 1-2" taller filter element than stock. Not sure if such a filter exist in stock (13"?)diameter?
I'm using the 14" Edelbrock 43661 it has the top element for better breathing.

With this Moroso bottom plate for better clearance over the Ignition Coil wires.