Drunkcanuks build...... finally!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I built the box for Roscoe a few weeks back I got a 4x8 sheet of 23/32 plywood for $36, but my ears aren't good enough to hear the difference between that and 3/4" birch.
I like the birch for more than just sound. it takes a kerf bend quite nicely and doesn’t chip out as easy as some others when I’m going around the edges with the router. Although a good sharp bit is probably most of that. It also seems to hold up to time quite well even unfinished.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like the birch for more than just sound. it takes a kerf bend quite nicely and doesn’t chip out as easy as some others when I’m going around the edges with the router. Although a good sharp bit is probably most of that. It also seems to hold up to time quite well even unfinished.
I'll take a look at what the other options are, and I'm sure none of them will be cheaper than MDF.
I would definitely prefer using a good plywood.
But things are pretty dang expensive up here. It's not like this is a IASCA build. Like any of my projects, balance needs vs budget vs required outcome.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes MDF with lots of glue works well! To prove a point I once built a box then once the glue was dry I removed the screws as they only needed to hold it while the glue was drying. Then silicone sealed the inside and 25 years later it’s leak free.
Yep it’s been proven a proper wood glue joint is stronger than the wood itself

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I always read that MDF was preferred because of the acoustic properties
Ya, it's pretty dense, so less reasonanse. No voids like most plywood. I always stuff batting in there as well to cut down any boom not coming from the subs. And supposedly it tricks the speakers into thinking the box is bigger than it is. That was the thinking 20+yrs ago anyway.

And ya, the screws or brad nails just hold it in place while the glue works it's voodoo magic, but I always leave the screws in anyway. And silicone definitely does it's magic as well. I'm pretty sure the Foxbox I have in my Megacab is blown up because it was built like ****. Could smell the MDF dust forever after I installed it.