Finally pulled the trigger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have reinstalled stock springs and new springs with just the jack under the lower control arm and the weight of the truck and being very careful. I can assume that the chain and the come along are a safety measure? Or was the lift spring enough pressure that you needed the come along to get the lower ball joint in the spindle?

Bridgerat

Reaction score
Yes. It wasn’t possible to compress spring without come along strapping. Jack raised the truck off the Jack stands way before control arm got close to ball joint.
I have reinstalled stock springs and new springs with just the jack under the lower control arm and the weight of the truck and being very careful. I can assume that the chain and the come along are a safety measure? Or was the lift spring enough pressure that you needed the come along to get the lower ball joint in the spindle?

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes. It wasn’t possible to compress spring without come along strapping. Jack raised the truck off the Jack stands way before control arm got close to upper ball joint.
It was the same when I did my springs too. Got nervous but was more scared of the springs flying out at us!
Kinda like being in the same room with a polar bear and a lion....who do you keep an eye on???

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
IMO, it would be safer to get 5 rotund friends from the neighborhood and when you are ready, have them climb in the engine compartment and also stand on front bumper and/or sit in the passenger/driver's seat. With that come along on there, any creaking noise would make my tally whacker hide and not come out.