No oil pressure after head gasket change???? Huh??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phantom 309

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you read the post about when I was able to fix it, you will see that is exactly what I ended up doing. My main mistake in this is that from working so much recently on engines from the ls and lq family I forgot that these earlier small blocks have distributor driven oil pumps, not crank driven ones like on the LS family. My 1984 is like that also, I just overlooked that for some odd reason. At the same time I made this post I was going over the repair manual on how to replace the oil pump and thats when I realized it was distributor driven.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

I apologize if u think i was poking at you,. Not so,. More at reading some of the replies.

deve05

Reaction score
I apologize if u think i was poking at you,. Not so,. More at reading some of the replies.
Oh please, lol no need to apologise. My bad if my reply came over wrong... Unfortunately over message tone of voice can be misinterpreted. I woulda actually deserved you poking at me, since I woulda never had to post for help if only I'd remembered sooner that the distributor drives the oil pump on these motors. That was my bad for forgetting. Been around Ls too much lately lol i was just trying to say that what you said was exsactly what i ended up doing. Pulling the plugs and turning her with the starter.

Tomcat58

Reaction score
This thread is scary.... Never in 40 years of wrenching have I installed a distributor and failed to have it point towards # 1 (on SBC) and had it clamped down all the way with it taking a firm hand on the cap to turn it and time it after starting.

Maybe just slow down some and do it correct the first time ? Well maybe its just me ? but how much time would it take to attach the distributor clap down versus this story ?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, we all make mistakes, that's part of why these forums work so well. Sometimes we can even have some fun while learning too? Glad you figured it out @Dave05 without smoking something.

deve05

Reaction score
This thread is scary.... Never in 40 years of wrenching have I installed a distributor and failed to have it point towards # 1 (on SBC) and had it clamped down all the way with it taking a firm hand on the cap to turn it and time it after starting.

Maybe just slow down some and do it correct the first time ? Well maybe its just me ? but how much time would it take to attach the distributor clap down versus this story ?
The distributor was pointing to number one when it was installed. Like I've said several times, the engine fired up and ran. The problem was that the helical drive gears were only partly meshed and the oil pump drive was not engaged.