After head gasket change, no start. C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes just did turn the engine from front bolt and it spins. Could it be because the timing is off, so it won’t crank?

No. Being off timing it will crank, then stop, and maybe start again when/if the compression bleeds off

If it doesn't crank at all, it's something else. You've confirmed it's not hydro-locked. Next, take out the starter and have it tested.

Skylar M

Reaction score
No. Being off timing it will crank, then stop, and maybe start again when/if the compression bleeds off

If it doesn't crank at all, it's something else. You've confirmed it's not hydro-locked. Next, take out the starter and have it tested.
Had the battery tested and it’s actually bad. Will come back for update after replacement.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to you all who replied about the battery, I am sorry. You were right. The test at the auto part store said it was bad. I will come back after replacing for an update

Greetings Skylar M,

Thanks for the status update. Many times a weak 12V battery that can't continue to deliver
adequate current under load (ie: voltage initially correct but sags under load) will give you
the "Click, but no Crank" symptom. As expressed by several members, a new battery that
can pass a 'load test' should solve your problem.

To understand 'why' this occurs, then you might find the following of interest. IF for some
reason your 'Click, but no Crank' symptom persists after installing a fresh battery, then I'm
sure that the following will help to narrow down/locate the root cause.

Factory Theft Deterrent will allow the engine to crank. If it doesn't crank, it isn't the anti-theft system.
Start with manually cranking the engine by the crank pully bolt to verify its not hydro-locked.
Next, check for power & ground at the starter.

Nad, I am in complete agreement with your statement that the Factory Theft Deterrent is not
involved in a no-crank scenario. (For no start students reading along -- instead, the engine
cranks but the ECM doesn't ground the injectors. No fuel = engine cranks over, but no worky.)

In the following page taken from the '98 C/K FSM, Manual 3 of 4, under the section "Engine Electrical",
not only is the Factory Theft Deterrent conspicuous by it's absence, but it will also allow me to
illustrate that there are 3 different "click", "Click", and "CLICK" ...but no Crank failure scenarios:

Page 6-995:
You must be registered for see images attach

NOTE: Took the liberty to mark this up to match the wiring colors for a stock gasoline engine GMT400. (And also corrected the main "+" battery cable color listed.)

For some the above is self-explanatory, and for these folks the remainder of this reply is definitely Optional reading.

But for those who are still coming up to speed on all things GMT400 electrical, here's the sequence of events that will help to explain this schematic:

NOTE: In the final 2-3 years of the GMT400 manuals the General started organizing each page where the top is where the power for this circuit is coming
from, and the bottom of the page is where the load > ground is documented. This is to help the troubleshooter figure out what is upstream vs downstream
of the load. I find this much more intuitive than the old spaghetti style in the older electrical manuals. (!)

* So, starting at the top, the 40A Fuse 6 (in the Underhood Relay Center) feeds 'Always Hot' power to both the Ignition Switch as well as the power-delivery
side of the Starter Relay. Since the relay is drawn 'Normally Open', we know that the power stops there until the control side of the relay has power applied.
Same thing for the Ignition Switch -- no power will flow *except* for when the key is turned all the way to the Start position.

* The human turns the key to the Start position. This conducts the 'Always On' power to/through the CRANK fuse. (#8 in the Instrument Panel) Assuming
an automatic transmission (In Park or Neutral) -or- a manual transmission (Clutch fully depressed) this 12V signal is forwarded to the control side of the
Starter Relay. (physically located back in the Underhood Relay Center) Assuming a good ground on the other side, the current flow from this 12V signal will
pull this 'Normally Open' relay closed. This closing will send ~15-25A worth of power to the Starter Solenoid windings via the Purple wire we've all touched
during a starter swap.

(By the way, the sound of the Starter Relay by itself = a quiet 'click'.)

* With all that setup, here's what I've really been wanting to share as a troubleshooter.
You see, most folks think that the starter starts spinning *immediately*, and then gets
thrown into the ring gear on the flywheel/flexplate. Negative.

Instead, the NON-spinning starter pinion gear *is* thrown from it's at-rest position into
a fully meshed position with the flywheel/flexplate ring gear first. Once the pinion gear
is fully extended, simultaneously the high amperage contacts for the main starter are
also closed, power is (finally) drawn from the big red battery cable...and *then* the
starter starts to spin the pinion...and the engine, IF the engine is free to turn over.

And once the human releases the key and it rotates out of the Start position, this
circuit is de-energized, and thanks to the return spring in the starter Bendix drive
the starter pinion gear is returned to the at-rest position.

For visual learners, I recommend you skip to the ~19:57 mark on this video, and watch for
about a minute or so to see how these starters actually work on a cut-open unit:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

* Now that you understand the sequencing and dynamics of our starters, now you can
appreciate the difference between the "Click" of a poorly powered Starter Solenoid vs the
authoritative "CLICK" of a properly powered Starter Solenoid.

* In the case of the weak "Click", this is the scenario where the Starter Solenoid begins it's
travel, but because the battery voltage sags under load, an insufficient magnetic field is
generated, so the solenoid can't physically overcome the return spring on the Bendix drive,
it only travels part way & stalls...so the big power contacts for the main starter motor are
never engaged. This literally translates into the symptom "Click, but no Crank".

* In the case of the strong "CLICK" scenario, thanks to a strong battery the starter
solenoid has a plenty strong magnetic field that easily overcomes the return spring in
the Bendix drive, so the pinion gear makes the full travel + the high power contacts
are closed, and (assuming a healthy starter & engine) ...engine cranks over.

Really experienced mechanics can discern the difference between these 3 levels of clicking.
If you consider yourself a serious student, the best way to teach/calibrate yourself about this
*before* you actually need it for broke/fix troubleshooting is to insert a fault, predict
the outcome, and then attempt to start your vehicle. NOTE: Always remove the fault
and verify proper starting operation before continuing.

Q1: For example, what happens if you pull the 10A CRANK fuse out of the instrument panel
fuse block?
Q2: What happens if you pull the 40A Fuse 6 in the Underhood Relay Center?
Q3: What happens if you pull the Purple wire from the Starter Solenoid? Will you be
able to still hear the Starter Relay operating?
Q4: Disconnect just the large diameter red power cable to the starter. Does the
starter solenoid still "CLICK" with authority?
Q5: If you have an automatic transmission, place the gear selector into the R, D, S, or L
positions and attempt to start the vehicle. Does the resulting behavior make sense when
you look at the diagram above.

And so on and so forth.

Now I realize that most owners are not interested in disturbing a starting circuit that's
operating correctly. And I can appreciate that. But for those who wish to coexist with
their aging GMT400, and at the same time not be fearful of the dreaded "Click, but no Crank"
scenario, spending an hour or two performing the 'Fault Insertion > Symptom prediction > Observation
training on your vehicle when it is healthy will pay troubleshooting dividends down the road if/when
your faithful traveling companion's starter fails to proceed.

As always, apologies for the length. Hopefully anyone still reading this was a member of the target audience. :0)

Cheers --

Attachments

• Starter Solenoid action photo.jpg
    Starter Solenoid action photo.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Skylar M

Reaction score
After all that it was my positive lead to the starter. It’s black and looked like a ground that I grounded instead, not paying attention or checking where it came from. Thank you all who responded. Now it’s cranking but no fuel pump prime still and no start.

No fuel pump turn on sound of priming

Gas gauge reading over full

Code reader - error, does not connect to truck

Fuel pump is good and relay. I know because it was running before the head tear apart. And checked the relay already.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please do not post the same question in multiple threads.

www.gmt400.com/threads/crank-no-start-issue.65199/#post-1367767

Skylar M

Reaction score

f

Why would that matter? That’s is because I have the other thread with all who replied. But it being a different thread with a different initial question. So for those who weren’t on that thread, but might know the problem, I created this thread, with this question. Thanks bud. I don’t know why that would be an issue and why I would have to explain that to you. I’m just looking for help pal.

Last edited:

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Why would that matter? That’s is because I have the other thread with all who replied. But it being a different thread with a different initial question. So for those who weren’t on that thread, but might know the problem, I created this thread, with this question. Thanks bud. I don’t know why that would be an issue and why I would have to explain that to you. I’m just looking for help pal.
It helps to, as Paul Harvey said, "know the rest of the story". Giving folks that voluntarily provide advice, at no benefit to themselves, as much background on what problems you're experiencing, what has been done already, what you've found along the way, and what your current symptoms/suspicions are will yeild the most and most meaningful help. Especially since not one person on here can see firsthand what you are seeing.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After all that it was a missed ground. Thank you all who responded. Now it’s cranking but no fuel pump prime still and no start.

1) No fuel pump turn on sound of priming

2) Gas gauge reading over full

3) Code reader - error, does not connect to truck

Fuel pump is good and relay. I know because it was running before the head tear apart. And checked the relay already.

Here's some troubleshooting info for the 3 failures above:

1) The fuel pump relay that energizes the pump is commanded by the Vehicle Control Module. (VCM)
IF the VCM isn't getting both +12V *and* a
solid ground then no CPU cycles, no code run, no joy.

Also, another way to make a good fuel pump relay fail to send power to the fuel pump would be
a loss of a
good ground on the control side of the relay.

2) Gas gauge with good history suddenly reading pegged full is a pretty reliable indicator of a
bad ground to the sender unit. (Or there's a good ground but an open signal wire between
the sender & the VCM. (96+ GMT400s)

3) The code reader not connecting 'to truck' is actually confirmation that the root cause of
problem #1 is that the VCM is not working at all. The highest probability of this failure would
involve loss of power or
ground from any wiring disturbed during any maintenance performed
between last time it was running vs. it's current status.

Given all of the above + the recent history of your truck, I went into the Ground Distribution
Schematics in the FSM and came up with the following page:

VCM + Fuel Pump Relay are just a couple of the electrical subsystems relying upon G103 & G104 (!)

So, assuming that you've already checked the power fuses for the VCM and Fuel Pump Relay, then
the next step is to check G103 (near thermostat housing) and G104. (On the 5.0/5.7, G104 is physically
implemented on the back of the passenger side cylinder head...and in the tight confines next to the firewall,
it's easy to miss 1/more connections.)

EDIT: Here's the physical location of G103 on the 5.0/5.7 small blocks:

Please verify the tightness of both physical connections *and* ground continuity of the malfunctioning circuits
that rely upon these 2 electrical grounds and reply back with what you find.

And to amplify what @Schurkey & @termite said, a single thread is by
FAR easier to follow than multiple threads. I for one know that a single thread allows me
to read everyone else's input, which is invaluable, for oftentimes a comment
they make triggers memories of a personal troubleshooting session from long
ago.

In other words, between the all of us there's quite a bit of hard-won
experience that can be shared. But at the same time it's difficult at best to
troubleshoot remotely, and that all-important context is critical to success.

Schurkey's request is based upon all this and more (he's been doing this a
long time) ...and he knows what works best for all involved, so let's
consolidate the effort here and get this truck running asap.

BTW, sharing all 3 observations allowed me to come up with a single, shared
failure scenario. Good job on that...and for anyone else reading along, sharing
*everything* you observe, whether it seems to be related or not, can be
extremely helpful.

Happy Hunting! Let us know what you discover --

Last edited:

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After all that it was a missed ground. Thank you all who responded. Now it’s cranking but no fuel pump prime still and no start.

This piqued my curiosity, for the focus at that point was simply getting the starter
to crank over. And since the starter and starter solenoid are both grounded by the
starter being physically bolted to the engine block, then how can a missing ground
cause this symptom?

A: If you go back to the schematic in reply #43, you can see that the control side of
the
Starter Relay is connected to G105.

And for students of the GMT400 engine bay grounding, here's the physical location of G105
per the FSM:

EDIT: It's possible that there was sufficient grounding for the Starter Relay to operate
(small audible click) and the starter solenoid to start operating, but without G105
as soon as the main starter motor was pulling 100-175+ amps, then the whole
thing 'browned out' due to marginal engine grounding from other sources not designed to
carry this level of amperage. (Without sufficient instrumentation during the failure, all
we can do is educated guesswork, somewhat dangerous to do, especially in public. :0)

Essentially this is a case study in how the different grounds each contribute to
the different steps in the process required to allow the driver to get a GMT400 gas
engine to start up successfully.

The General's Factory Shop Manuals are a results-oriented troubleshooter's friend: {GMT400 Service Manual cache}

FWIW.

Cheers --

Last edited: