98 C1500 Starts but shuts off after 1 - 2 seconds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Texcuda

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My son has a 98 C1500 with the L31 vortec motor. The truck has 210k miles on it. He started having an intermittent issue where the engine will start then shut off after 1 - 2 seconds. Usually, he could cycle the key several times to get the truck to start, but a couple times he had to borrow his mother-in-law's vehicle because he couldn't get it to start at all.

He doesn't live terribly close so I couldn't do a normal diagnostic on it easily. We decided to go the hail mary route and ordered a new gm fuel pump assembly and the scpi to mpi conversion. With the mileage on the truck and the fact this is his daily driver, I figured it wouldn't be wasted money, and I assumed the issue would be one of these 2 things. We finally got it back together a couple hours ago and the truck will not stay running longer than 1 - 2 seconds. Here's the things I've tried so far:

Fuel Pressure Gauge on Schrader valve: 60 psi key on, engine off; while cranking the pressure drops into the low 50's
I thought we had a fueling issue and tried to keep the engine running by spraying carb cleaner and pouring gas down the throttle body (don't do this at home kids as it really isn't the best idea). This had absolutely no effect at all.

I stumbled across a forum post about the typical issues of GM's Passlock. The trucks symptoms seem to mimic the Passlock issue, so I hot wired the fuel pump. Absolutely no change: starts and runs for 1 - 2 seconds. In addition, the security light on the dash was steady on the whole time; it didn't blink once. I think based off this info the Passlock isn't the problem.

We put a new distributor cap and rotor on as well due to breaking the old one while shimmying the upper manifold back into place. As it turns out, it NEEDED a new cap and rotor. This didn't change anything either, unfortunately.

My diagnostic tool (Ancel) shows no codes and I tried to read live data with it but that is hopeless due to the engine shutting off.

We don't particularly want to ditch the factory efi as the truck is extremely clean and runs great (when it stays running).

What am I overlooking guys? TIA

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I stumbled across a forum post about the typical issues of GM's Passlock. The trucks symptoms seem to mimic the Passlock issue, so I hot wired the fuel pump. Absolutely no change: starts and runs for 1 - 2 seconds. In addition, the security light on the dash was steady on the whole time; it didn't blink once. I think based off this info the Passlock isn't the problem.

IIRC Passlock cuts power to the injectors on these trucks, not the pump. I'm betting this is a Passlock issue.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can wire Passloc out of the system. There are a bunch of you tube videos on how to do it. South Main Auto does a step by step on the procedure.

You can bypass it, but the only way to eliminate it 100% is to disable it in the tune as @HotWheelsBurban mentioned. Everything else (including the resistor bypass in that South Main Auto YouTube vid) is just fooling the system into thinking it's operating properly. If another part of the system fails (like the module itself) the truck won't start again.

Disabling it in the tune will prevent the PCM from looking for a signal from the Passlock module permanently. Being a '98, the PCM is supported by HPTuners and EFILive so it shouldn't be too hard to find a tuner who can do it.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can bypass it, but the only way to eliminate it 100% is to disable it in the tune as @HotWheelsBurban mentioned. Everything else (including the resistor bypass in that South Main Auto YouTube vid) is just fooling the system into thinking it's operating properly. If another part of the system fails (like the module itself) the truck won't start again.

Disabling it in the tune will prevent the PCM from looking for a signal from the Passlock module permanently. Being a '98, the PCM is supported by HPTuners and EFILive so it shouldn't be too hard to find a tuner who can do it.
Also this.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Believe me, I tried everything with my '99 Burb when this happened. The truck would be fine, start every time for a week, and then you'd try to start it again and it wouldn't do anything. Just run for a few seconds and then quit. And keep doing that....
And of course when you really needed to get somewhere (like say, get to work on time) that's when it was most likely to act up.
So I googled the problem, and came up with this forum. And they told me the only sure thing was to get the PCM delete.....
So I did that, and no more problems.