No oil pressure after head gasket change???? Huh??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trigger_guard

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is possible, absolutely. However it's not likely. the diz should fall into place once the engine rotates, but it wouldn't hurt to check and make sure the distributor is all the way down. And if im not mistakin the electric distributors use a pin to drive the pump. I've never heard of one falling out. But the gears are junk anyway. So. Maybe

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

deve05

Reaction score
I second this idea. It might not cause the oil to flow to the top of the head if the tool doesn’t seal well enough around the distributor hole, but it definitely should be enough to show 20+ psi on the gauge. On a tight engine it’ll get you to 40+ psi.
Im looking at part number 26070 that is an autozone loaner tool. But many reviews are saying that the portion that's supposed to seal is .030 too small and oil just flows out into the valley. But most people are trying it on BBC do you know if BBC and SBC distributor diameters are the same? Because I do not see anyone else that has the tool locally.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im looking at part number 26070 that is an autozone loaner tool. But many reviews are saying that the portion that's supposed to seal is .030 too small and oil just flows out into the valley. But most people are trying it on BBC do you know if BBC and SBC distributor diameters are the same? Because I do not see anyone else that has the tool locally.

Funny you mention it. I just returned that tool. I didn’t take issue with the 0.030” undersize. As far as I know BBC and SBC are the same diameter but I can’t say I’ve measured the two side by side. My issue was trying to get something on it to turn it. I really needed something with a hex at the top so I could drive it using a socket attached to a universal joint angled because the cowl was in the way. But I was using it on a BBC, so it might not be an issue for a SBC. I ended up using two pump shafts coupled together with heater hose for a while because I could wedge on a socket to the shafts. Then took all the plugs out, put the distributor in and ran it with the starter until I saw oil coming through the lifters. If I was more patient I would have bought one with a hex shape at the top.

You must be registered for see images attach

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
BBC and SBC distributor shafts are the same. The .030 is not going to be a issue. The lower piece is what directs the oil the galleries. Put a drill on it and spin it up and it will push oil. It does not matter if some of the oil spills in to the valley.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took my old distributor, removed all the parts including the plate, ground off the gear, welded a nut where the rotor goes and prime with an air ratchet - no muss no fuss.

deve05

Reaction score
So I decided I'd put my braincells onto it during my lunch break(working from home today) and figured out a way to save myself some time and a couple bucks....

I grabbed a 24 mm socket and it was fairly close to the inside diameter of the distributor rotor. Then i used some electrical tape to make up the difference in diameter and also to act as a friction locking material and voila. An oil pump primer with the exact dimensions its supposed to have. Lol once i get out of work I'll give it a go.

Now im able to attach my impact wrench and the cowl wont be an issue at all either.

deve05

Reaction score
I took my old distributor, removed all the parts including the plate, ground off the gear, welded a nut where the rotor goes and prime with an air ratchet - no muss no fuss.
Lol just read your comment i had a similar idea except my idea allows me to reuse the distributor, I do need it.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I grabbed a 24 mm socket and it was fairly close to the inside diameter of the distributor rotor. Then i used some electrical tape to make up the difference in diameter and also to act as a friction locking material and voila. An oil pump primer with the exact dimensions its supposed to have. Lol once i get out of work I'll give it a go.
Good idea but, if you have your cam in there it won't turn very easy with the gear still on it.

deve05

Reaction score
Good idea but, if you have your cam in there it won't turn very easy with the gear still on it.
Lmfao wow....EPIC fail.... I dont have the distributor in front of me right now, but is that gear even removable without removing the pump drive blade?

I have no problem going to pick up the autozone tool, my only thing is I'm doing this because I've already started and ran this engine with no oil pressure a couple of times and i want to actually prime it before trying again. According to this youtube video i found the autozone tool wont get oil up to the heads, and if its just oozing into the valley and back down, how can I be sure it's even going to the crankshaft and camshaft bearings?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media