no cheap lockers for 6 lug open diff?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your mechanical or know someone that can swap gears, look for a true posi from a mid 90s Caprice, Buick roadmaster, Caddy's, cars that body style. Need to look for certain ones, wanna say a tow package, but they have the same rear diff as these trucks, but used an actual posi, not the grenade lock. RPO codes are the same, so just a matter of finding the right one. Or, as others mentioned, get a G80 rear from a truck. I think the 8.5 10 bolts were the same, just the axles themselves are different. Tape measure will tell for sure...

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Problem with the pattern change spacers (adapters) is you'll spend near $200 after shipping to get a pair with any decent quality, so it's no longer an inexpensive option.

Richard

Yeah, I realized that after I posted. $200 is not inexpensive!...I'd honestly consider running it with a 8 lug rear 6 lug front, based on what I hear from the OP. I was writing out loud.

Another option maybe: 99-02 1500 NBS 10 bolt? A lot of those came with the G80. If OP can weld, the spring pads and shock mounts can be relocated. Gain disc, keep the 6 lug pattern, but downgrade to a 10 bolt? Never mind! Well for that matter, any 14B NBS will suffice.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
If your mechanical or know someone that can swap gears, look for a true posi from a mid 90s Caprice, Buick roadmaster, Caddy's, cars that body style. Need to look for certain ones, wanna say a tow package, but they have the same rear diff as these trucks, but used an actual posi, not the grenade lock. RPO codes are the same, so just a matter of finding the right one. Or, as others mentioned, get a G80 rear from a truck. I think the 8.5 10 bolts were the same, just the axles themselves are different. Tape measure will tell for sure...

I'd like to see that Caprice with the 9.5 in it :p

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just saw the 9.5 lol.....since 6 lug, best and easiest is to get the 99-up rear. Many came with the G80, and disc brakes are a nice upgrade, and dime a dozen...

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought a reman gov-lock carrier from an outfit in Nevada. Swapped out the open carrier in my 88. Just transferred my ring gear to the gov-lock carrier. Fairly easy, didn’t even have to adjust backlash. Cost me around $375 I think. I know people badmouth the gov-locks, but I have never broken a 9.5” unit. Personally I think they’re great.

JayMB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't half ton guys want to pay big money for 6-lug 14bsf 9.5" rears? Maybe you could buy whatever with a G80 (8-lug 14ff probably cheap, on a truck you barely drive having to carry two different spare tires doesn't seem too bad) and sell your rear to break even?

I'm pretty sure b454rat is correct, LT1 equpped full-size cars around the mid-90's could come factory with a 5-lug 14bsf 9.5" rear (I think he's right, it was part of a towing package or something). Those axles are very desirable, like the 5-lug 454SS ones - so you don't usually see them laying around.

EDIT: I was wrong, not all fullsize cars could be had with a 9.5sf - it was only a Cadillac thing (I did a little research, you guys made me curious). It was also put in Cadillac herses and limos.

Last edited:

Olds455

Reaction score
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MImsSMiNyM7gIVS42GCh01uATaEAQYASABEgLvmfD_BwE

Summit and Amazon have the Powertrax 1950 LR for $445. A bit over your target cost, but an option. I have a terrible time finding parts through Sunmit’s website, so you may have not gotten this as a possible solution with your search. To give another perspective on the lockright, I used two in my c1500 over 180,000 plus miles. They wear out the teeth over time and will slip and provide zero drive and clunk. But that is many miles down the road. I was very happy with mine as a daily. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another for a part time driver if I thought it was needed enough pay for it. I’m back to an open carrier now since I hardly drive my truck any more and the LR has worn out.

Zx1000hd

Reaction score
In northern Michigan I get the same issue. I'm in the process of installing Yukon grizzly locker. Just waiting on ring gear bolts

BonestockK1500

LT265/75/R16
Reaction score
If it’s just wet grass and you Don’t drive much why not just throw some cheap 33 inch mud tires on the rear, would be cheaper and easier than gear work and should grip good enough for normal pasture driving, no ?