1994 K1500 6 lug front axle to 2500 6 lug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive searched until I got bored and fed up. No direct answers that I could find.
Here's what I have going on. I have my '94 k1500 which is 6 lug axles. I swapped the (factory) 14 bolt open diff 3.73 for a 14 bolt 6 lug 3.42 from a 2500ld truck. I did it for the gears. Now, it's time to go for the front axle. I have the matching front axle from the 6 lug 2500ld truck, but I'm uncertain if it's gonna fit.
They're both 6 lug, I'm thinkin it should be a direct fit. I know someone here can confirm this!
Or maybe someone can point my pathetic search disfunction toward previous discussions about this?
Thanx guys!

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive searched until I got bored and fed up. No direct answers that I could find.
Here's what I have going on. I have my '94 k1500 which is 6 lug axles. I swapped the (factory) 14 bolt open diff 3.73 for a 14 bolt 6 lug 3.42 from a 2500ld truck. I did it for the gears. Now, it's time to go for the front axle. I have the matching front axle from the 6 lug 2500ld truck, but I'm uncertain if it's gonna fit.
They're both 6 lug, I'm thinkin it should be a direct fit. I know someone here can confirm this!
Or maybe someone can point my pathetic search disfunction toward previous discussions about this?
Thanx guys!
no , It's not a direct fit if it's the larger housing.. It mounts different and housing widths are different, cv axles are different. Many have come and gone saying they got it figured out, then disappear into the night never to be heard from again before any kind of completed occurs.. I'm sure there's a way but it's not bolt in.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
When they both have the same lug count it's a direct bolt in. But you're going the wrong way with gears. I put a 4.10 front and rear in in K1500 from a 6 lug 2500 LD truck. Bolt in and go, but do wheel seals first.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wheel seals would harm the gradual undercoating process that I need for my rust bucket! Thanks for the reminder tho, I hadn't thot about replacing them. Here goes more work!
I went 3.42 because diesel, and a desire for speed. It's a pavement princess. No trailers for this truck.
So, if I'm reading you guys correctly, a tape measure, eyeball the mounting, and commonsense, I should be able to determine if it's "drop-in"?

Reaction score
6 lug front diffs are the same between K1500 and 6 lug K2500. ( just be sure that the gear ratios match) I used one from a from a K1500 when I found mine was destroyed in my '88 K2500 6 lug. Absolute bolt in procedure, just a PIA to do by yourself. The diffy assembly isn't too heavy, just awkward to balance/manipulate into place with just 2 arms. Swap over your axle actuator if it works and the donor axle uses the different type. On mine, my original axle had been converted to the servo motor type actuator and the donor axle had a thermo-actuator. I swapped them over but made the mistake of not removing the spacer needed for the conversion style of actuator. Luckily I figured it out before I scrapped the old diff.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you guys! The front axle I'm putting in is at a friend's place, so I'm not currently in posession of it.
Here's to seals and an axle swap! Time to prep for what I expect will be a 4x4 winter!