Converting 1988 2500 6 lug to 8 lug 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FoxNotch

Reaction score
I have an 88 2500 (7200lb gvrw) 6 lug, 2wd truck. Already has a 14 bolt FF 8 lug rear.
I need to get the front 8 lug to match. What's are my options for getting this done?
I found plenty of info for going 6 to 8 lug on a 4wd, but not 2wd.

Thanks

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What are your goals here, just to get the 8 lug wheel appearance? Just changing the suspension stuff over won't get you to the 8600 lb GVWR, as the frames between the "light duty" and "heavy duty" 2500's aren't the same.

If you're just trying to get it to match lug patterns front and rear, the way to do this that makes the most sense is to bolt up the 8 lug style upper control arms (you gotta get the 8 lug arms because the ball joints on your existing ones won't fit the 8 lug spindles), spindles, and brakes. They will bolt right into your frame. You'll want to be sure you have the correct master cylinder as well for the 8600 lb brake setup since you have that front and rear with this setup, as you already have that 8 lug FF out back.

Then hope nobody mistakes the 8 lug truck for an 8600 and overloads it... it's got the braking power of the 8600 lb gvwr now but the frame isn't up to the same job as a factory 8 lug truck.

Richard

FoxNotch

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I saw you share info in other threads and was hoping you're still around.

no worries about capacity. This is just my father's knock around/ tinker on truck. We have actual trucks to move stuff and we won't be selling this as a HD truck.

The current front suspension is pretty worn and we want a little more suspension/ braking capacity as we've swapped a heavier diesel into the truck. And naturally want to have 8 lug all around.

From my research I was thinking an 8 lug 8400lb donor truck was ideal. Is that not correct?

Thank you

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I saw you share info in other threads and was hoping you're still around.

no worries about capacity. This is just my father's knock around/ tinker on truck. We have actual trucks to move stuff and we won't be selling this as a HD truck.

The current front suspension is pretty worn and we want a little more suspension/ braking capacity as we've swapped a heavier diesel into the truck. And naturally want to have 8 lug all around.

From my research I was thinking an 8 lug 8400lb donor truck was ideal. Is that not correct?

Thank you
The 8 lug 2500's are usually 8600 gvwr, where are you seeing 8400? Could just be a minor equipment difference but I don't know what.

I’m not that familiar with 2wd, but I’d think the brakes on a:

would be at least JB6 and reasonably adequate.
Oh for sure, the 7200 6 lug trucks are JB6, they got the 14 bolt SF and big rear drums. My point is that the 6 lug 2500's frame is essentially a 1500 frame with a couple small gussets added. OP can change over to all 8 lug stuff but the truck won't be up to 8600 gvwr spec.

Upper control arms, spindles, calipers, rotors from the 8 lug donor truck will get the job done - and probably master cylinder. Calipers and master cylinder might be the same, I wouldn't bet on it, but a quick check of the two different models on Rock would probably figure that out.

Richard

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh for sure, the 7200 6 lug trucks are JB6, they got the 14 bolt SF and big rear drums. My point is that the 6 lug 2500's frame is essentially a 1500 frame with a couple small gussets added. OP can change over to all 8 lug stuff but the truck won't be up to 8600 gvwr spec.
I think we’re making the same point…
The rear differential was a worthwhile upgrade, but really not gaining anything else up front going 8 lug, you’ve already got the brakes. At least not enough to justify all that work.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Mix and match wheels/tires can be annoying when it comes to dealing with spare tires. ;)

Back in the day this was a common issue when replacing a beat 6 lug rear on a 60's truck with a newer 5 lug rear.

Ol' "Ugly but cheap, runs, $200" in the background here suffered from that. Well it also suffered from a stuck clutch, a knocking 305 V6 (GMC), no title, and more rust than sheetmetal. But somebody did eventually buy it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

FoxNotch

Reaction score
I think we’re making the same point…
The rear differential was a worthwhile upgrade, but really not gaining anything else up front going 8 lug, you’ve already got the brakes. At least not enough to justify all that work.
I surprised. I always thought the 8 lug trucks had a little wider track and sat higher. But that's just based on appearances.

It sounds like a lot just to have the wheels match. But it all needs to be gone through regardless so if we're gonna do it, might as well do it now.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I surprised. I always thought the 8 lug trucks had a little wider track and sat higher. But that's just based on appearances.

It sounds like a lot just to have the wheels match. But it all needs to be gone through regardless so if we're gonna do it, might as well do it now.
I’m not saying the 8 lug front end parts aren’t more stout, of course they are, but you’ll still have the 7200 GVWR frame. Again, not sure about 2wd, but couldn’t you just add beefier springs up front. I think your brakes would be fine.

FoxNotch

Reaction score
I’m not saying the 8 lug front end parts aren’t more stout, of course they are, but you’ll still have the 7200 GVWR frame. Again, not sure about 2wd, but couldn’t you just add beefier springs up front. I think your brakes would be fine.
For sure. We have no illusion that we're making a heavy pickup out of it. Just want to beef things up a bit under the heavier engine.
This is a just an around-town parts run type truck. Not much use for it, but it's what he wants.