Eaton TrueTrac or Detroit Locker? Which gets the nod?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just installed a truetrac in my 97 8.5"10 bolt 30 spline. Still braking it in, but so far, very good. No more one wheel peel at the green light in the rain. No noise at all. I went from 342s to 373s so if anything, it will spin the tires easier. The truetrac will lock up when needed at any speed, where most will only lock up at speeds under 35 MPH. The truetrac will hold a lot of HP where some of the others wont. It is the rite choice for a street application. Where it lacks somewhat, is like in rock crawling applications where you have 1 wheel in the air. There are better choices out there for that type of app. All in all, I am very happy with my truetrac. It does just what I need it to. I do have a friend who has one in a 68 Mustang GT 500 with 814 HP at the rear wheels, and he has a truetrac in a Ford 9". Like me, He is very happy with the truetrac.

Last edited:

90 Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
TrueTrac in a heartbeat. It's smooth, quiet, and invisible until you need it. Use any gear lube you want (synthetic will make it slip a little more) no clutches to need friction modifier. Always my first recommendation unless you are rock crawling, then it's the Detroit locker every time.
Lockers are clunkier and noisier and they cost more. They are bombproof however. That being said, the TrueTrac doesn't break either.
I have been selling both for over 20 years. Stick with the TrueTrac and you can't go wrong.

Before you buy anything check the outside diameter of the carrier bearings they come in 2 sizes 2.891 and 3.062. You will need to know before you get the install kit. I also recommend a solid spacer and shim kit instead of a crush sleeve for the pinion bearings. Easier to set up, torque down, is reusable, and is stronger.

I recommend the Ratech kits over all others. Summit Racing has all of this and usually in stock too.

If you are changing the ring and pinion gears get 5 qts. of gear lube and an extra cover gasket because you will be changing the gear lube after you break in the ring and pinion.

If you still want to do the locker get the Redline heavy weight shockproof gear lube. It will cushion the the metal to metal contact which will quiet the locker racket a bit.

Mini spool input?

Doug in P.R.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I looked at a lot of different lockers, and LSD carriers before I pulled the trigger on the truetrac. I have been wanting to do this for about 8 years, so I had a lot of time to look and ask questions. I rebuilt my rear end, so new everything. Just the differential housing is original to the truck. Everything inside of it is new. I am into this rear end for just under $1100. To some, this may not be a lot of money, but for me, it cut into my truck budget some what deeply. I wanted to know I was getting the best bang for the buck that I could, and that it is, and will be dependable for a long time to come. As mentioned before, I am very happy with my choices.

Last edited:

DamHoodlum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used a Eaton Posi In my 9.5" 14 Bolt. But I'm old school. It Works Flawless

Kenny, You wont need to upgrade your rear drivetrain for a LONG time now.

I'm more than $1100 in mine but I like you money well spent as far as I'm concerned

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Mini spools are for going in circles in the dirt. On the street they will break the axles as well as stuff you in a ditch back bumper first if you are turning a corner and someone says "Rain". At the dragstrip they will either explode on the starting line or as you go through the speed traps at the big end.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I just installed a truetrac in my 97 8.5"10 bolt 30 spline. Still braking it in, but so far, very good. No more one wheel peel at the green light in the rain. No noise at all. I went from 342s to 373s so if anything, it will spin the tires easier. The truetrac will lock up when needed at any speed, where most will only lock up at speeds under 35 MPH. The truetrac will hold a lot of HP where some of the others wont. It is the rite choice for a street application. Where it lacks somewhat, is like in rock crawling applications where you have 1 wheel in the air. There are better choices out there for that type of app. All in all, I am very happy with my truetrac. It does just what I need it to. I do have a friend who has one in a 68 Mustang GT 500 with 814 HP at the rear wheels, and he has a truetrac in a Ford 9". Like me, He is very happy with the truetrac.

I recently watched an excellent Youtube video where a guy out them in front and back of his Expedition then went off roading. He'd get a tire in the air and unload it, then apply brakes and throttle and it hopped right out. Totally verified everything I thought I knew about those diffs. I have one in the Camaro and have been happy with it so far. I've heard they can eat themselves and break with high power/grip, but have very little use on mine and can't yet comment on that. That said, I'll likely be getting one for the dually. That or a junkyard stock carrier and lunchbox locker. The jury's still out. I really do like the mechanical locking G80 off the line, and the Detroit acts a bit different so I'm not sure I'm a fan of it in a DD truck.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
Agreed on the mini spool. I had one in a '80 Malibu coupe back in the day. It was a mid 12 second car that I drove around on Hoosier Quick Time Pros. Got caught in the rain a couple of times... not fun.