Eaton TrueTrac or Detroit Locker? Which gets the nod?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here is mine, just finished the install on 2/12/21. I have 250 miles on it rite now, 2/22/21
You must be registered for see images attach

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am planning to upgrade my open diff to a posi or limited slip. I have been researching this topic for a couple weeks. My truck is an 88 lwb 5.7l c1500 with 8.5 rear 10 bolt and 3.42 gear. It has tbi and a well worn in rebuild. Motor is great. I plan to replace some valve stem seals on the 5.7l but not much else for now. It has great low end and that's all I really need. I just got it back from a few years at my son's place. I have been fixing things: New tires 235/75r15 and Chevy wheels 15", New windshield, new stereo, cover for bench seat, fixed some broken interior pieces. I am dying to turn this truck into a full size mid life crisis but my grown son, the mechanic, is begging me to keep the tbi for simplicity.

Im thinking a 2/4 drop with spindles and springs/ flip kit for the rear. Unfortunately I have not been able to find the video where they show the lowered truck hauling a refrigerator. I know there are air ride load supports available too. Just find that video of the refrigerator and send it to me ok?

The Chevy's open rear was great when I was hauling mower trailers and such. Its not so great when you get stuck in your neighbors yard during a tailgate party. Most of the vids say the G80 was the king of Chevy limited slip. I was going for the clutch pack idea but was quickly talked out of that. I have heard that the Truetrac is Eaton's replacement for the G80. I like that it is wheel speed sensing. I think it will help me in light snow and gravel parking lots at camping and picnic sites in the mountains. I have also seen that the locker is great for 4wd but has some street characteristics that are not so great. My current setup spends most of its life below 2500 rpm. I want a great limited slip that will last for years. I also want to future proof the truck in case I later decide to go full mid life crisis and build a dropped blown pro street truck.

I know there are a lot of very good manufacturers out there. You may prefer another. Which do you like? Which gets the nod?

Not to hijack the thread, but can you swap the factory g80 out for either of these options? Or do they both require an open carrier to drop into? I have the 14bolt SF with 6-lugs and it seems to be an uncommon/valuable setup, I'd hate to destroy it when my 250k mile G80 blows up finally.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, but can you swap the factory g80 out for either of these options? Or do they both require an open carrier to drop into? I have the 14bolt SF with 6-lugs and it seems to be an uncommon/valuable setup, I'd hate to destroy it when my 250k mile G80 blows up finally.

The only ones that need open diff carriers are lunchbox lockers. The Truetrac goes in place of either open or G80.