Was there a limited slip rear axle for a 98 c1500 5 bolt?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a GU6 rear axle for my 98 gmc C1500. Figured I can go to the junk yard and get a limited slip diff for it. Just not sure if they made one for this model. Tried doing some research and didn’t find much info. My exact vehicle info is a 1998 GMC c1500 Sierra SL, 4.3L engine, NV3500 trans, ext cab, 6.5 box. Most of that info is useless because the only difference primarily of all the gmt 400 models are the badges. Anyways, anyone have some insight?

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a 10 bolt and you can get a G80 for it at the junkyard or just replace the whole axle with one that has a G80.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's not useless as it's the start of any search for parts or what service info to use. Your half ton could have a 10 or 14 bolt installed. But my 2500 would not have a 10 bolt.
You have to start somewhere. if you don't have the factory OE service manuals, you should. There here for free. See sticky above. All the basic info, far more than Chitons, motors or others, is at your fingertips. :waytogo:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The GMT400 had either open (most) or LOCKING (not "limited slip") differentials.

As said, you can get a "limited slip" from a car, or from the aftermarket.

The 8.5" "ten bolt" axle under a full-size truck is not worth putting money into. They're fragile, the OEM differential cases shatter (open or locking, either one) and most of 'em have horrible rear brakes. Figure out your gear ratio, find a 9.5" axle with correct ratio, locking differential, and the 11.x rear brakes. Fabulous upgrade all around.

The downside is that most of 'em have six-lug axle shafts, and the ones from a 4WD are different width than the one you need--from a 2WD. You can get aftermarket axle shafts to keep your 5-lug wheels, or you can use 6-lug wheels on the rear, or you can convert the front, too, so you have 6-lug wheels all around.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Look for tahoes and Yukons, a lot of them had g80 and 3.73 gears

KansasOBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 8.5" "ten bolt" axle under a full-size truck is not worth putting money into.
How many have you blown up? I have a 73 square body short bed with a 10 bolt, and a limited slip out of a camaro, or whatever. Oval port heads, cammed 454, 3:73 gears, 2500 stall turbo 400.

Have some fairly meaty rears on it, used to spin donuts for days. I don't even think a fairly stock truck would hook up enough to scatter one of these unless it wasn't maintained.

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How many have you blown up? I have a 73 square body short bed with a 10 bolt, and a limited slip out of a camaro, or whatever. Oval port heads, cammed 454, 3:73 gears, 2500 stall turbo 400.

Have some fairly meaty rears on it, used to spin donuts for days. I don't even think a fairly stock truck would hook up enough to scatter one of these unless it wasn't maintained.
I’ve seen a pro charged 454 chevelle making close to 1,000hp with nothing but a mini spool in the stock rear end (highway gears too) make multiple passes on the strip and hold up just fine.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The worn-out, sloppy 8.5" 10-bolt that was in my truck when I crammed a 9.5" semi-float under it, is now in my buddy's truck when his 8.5" 10-bolt open differential case shattered and skidded the truck to a stop in the middle of the street when it locked-up.

The 8.5" axle was an upgrade from the previous 8.2" axles. It was developed for compact- and intermediate body style vehicles, and even then GM used it behind small-blocks and six-poppers. The big-block compacts and intermediates generally got a 12-bolt or other "divisional" axle. They never used it on a full-size car until after '77 when the full-size cars were downsized to what had been the "intermediate" size.

Last edited: