Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryline

Reaction score
I have a 1993 2WD extended cab, original owner, 350 5.7L truck custom built from the ground up. Noted it has a static 3/4 drop I added 15 years ago. I currently want to switch my rear 10 bolt axle’s factory drum brakes over to a disc brake setup. 2 things I’m not very knowledgeable about are transmissions and rear gears. So I have a couple concerns with this conversion.

My first concern is does anyone recommend where I should purchase this conversion kit at to begin with. I see so many options with pricing all over the chart. I’ve seen some threads on other sites stating they had to redo their rear end gears and also take their complete axle to a machine shop. for which I want to avoid both. Looking at what info I’ve seen in various kits I dont see why I would need to change my gear ratio nor take the axle to a machine shop. But, again, I’ve never attempted this build.

If anyone could recommend where I should start out purchasing a conversion kit. Then I could see what the kit contains and ask the needed questions from there. I would greatly appreciate any info. So thank you in advance.

Note: I just got off the phone with Summit Racing. Their conversion kit with a single piston caliper that I really didn’t want to go with is the same price as the wildwood brand if I’m spelling that correct. That goes between $900-$1300 and all kits are back ordered until mid to late November.

Ryline

Reaction score
Thank you Mr. Pink. I was not able to find a phone number to contact so I sent them an email. I couldn’t tell if that kit contains the single piston calipers and upgrading to the wilwood which would double the price. What additional installation would be needed, if any, and how many pistons those calipers would entail.

I do like the recommended part you sent me the link to as it looks like a straight forward installment without needing to mess with the gears or even the axle shafts if I read that correctly. So thank you for the info, greatly appreciate that.

One thing that caught my eye on that site that I never thought about was the option to add a new master cylinder. That’s something that never crossed my mind. Do you or does anyone recommend with this conversion upgrading the factory master cylinder and/or factory booster? Or recommend any additional parts I should change out while doing this conversion for that matter? Thank you in advance!!

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
The NBS master they offer will provide ample force for the rear conversion. I personally will be doing the rear kit w/o the wilwood calipers but with the NBS master cyl. I however am converting from power brakes to Manual brakes but I am doing it because I prefer manual brakes. And it will allow me to have a bigger cam if I would like and not worry about vacuum.

Ryline

Reaction score
Smart move I see where your taking your build. Do you know off hand if this place has that kit in stock or on backorder? I wasn’t able to find out so I shot them an email. If I didn’t go with the Wilwood which I’m just guessing is a single piston caliper. Would in your opinion, that single piston be sufficient enough? Also would you recommend I upgrade the master cylinder as well?

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
Yes a single piston will be sufficient, and LSMFG should have them in stock they are the manufacture so they should keep ample stock, and it would be up to you for the master.

Ryline

Reaction score
Here is what came in the mail with the complete package you recommended. We will see how this install goes in the morning.

Attachments

• 5F04F23E-92FC-4DB2-A2B6-BCFEFCFED7FD.jpeg
    5F04F23E-92FC-4DB2-A2B6-BCFEFCFED7FD.jpeg
    291.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 82F4E5FB-034F-4883-B8AE-BD089B1F3189.jpeg
    82F4E5FB-034F-4883-B8AE-BD089B1F3189.jpeg
    279.1 KB · Views: 12

Ryline

Reaction score
I added a booster, all brand new lines including stainless steel lines on this install. Figured if I’m gonna do it I may as well do it right and replace every single aspect to the complete brake system. After install I’ll replace all vacuum related hoses even though their in good shape just because I’m there.

Attachments

• 5DD9D5FB-2342-465A-8FDA-6834EDE97914.jpeg
    5DD9D5FB-2342-465A-8FDA-6834EDE97914.jpeg
    267.5 KB · Views: 10