10 bolt upgrades ("big" 8.5", 30 spline, w/big axle shafts and big wheel bearings)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Horntoad

Reaction score
So, what did you decide on?
I'm going to see what's around in my area and price it out. I originally just wanted to upgrade my brakes. Need to pull the axle shafts to do that, so I started thinking about putting in a limited slip (been on my list). Then thought about upgrading the axle shafts while they're being pulled and with the additional strain of the limited slip. That got me to thinking more about the axle assembly and upgrades to it. Now here I am talking about swapping out the whole axle assembly. And so it goes. :)

It'll be either an (1) upgraded, GVWR 7200/JB6, 10 bolt; (2) a stock GVWR 7200/JB6, 9.5 semi-float 14 bolt; or maybe (3) keep my JB5 rear drums and upgrade my existing 10 bolt. In all cases I'd still plan to have the Detroit True-Trac installed. I'll let you know, and likely have more questions before it's done. Thanks again everyone!

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I'm going to see what's around in my area and price it out. I originally just wanted to upgrade my brakes. Need to pull the axle shafts to do that, so I started thinking about putting in a limited slip (been on my list). Then thought about upgrading the axle shafts while they're being pulled and with the additional strain of the limited slip. That got me to thinking more about the axle assembly and upgrades to it. Now here I am talking about swapping out the whole axle assembly. And so it goes. :)

It'll be either an (1) upgraded, GVWR 7200/JB6, 10 bolt; (2) a stock GVWR 7200/JB6, 9.5 semi-float 14 bolt; or maybe (3) keep my JB5 rear drums and upgrade my existing 10 bolt. In all cases I'd still plan to have the Detroit True-Trac installed. I'll let you know, and likely have more questions before it's done. Thanks again everyone!
Here's a digital push to the 9.5...

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
IIRC, the 10 bolt with 11" brakes has a 4000# RAWR and a 7000# GVWR, not 7200#. 14 bolt with 11" brakes is 4600# RAWR and 7200# GVWR in a LD2500. Same axle with 8 lugs and 13" drums is 6000# RAWR.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. I waited over a year with my truck broken waiting to find a 14bsf but no dice. Only came across a few 14b ff that needed completely rebuilt which would have cost more after it was all said and done. Shops around here (Spokane, Wa) charge a minimum per job and not the actual time spent, unless it goes over the quoted "job time". I was quoted 6 hrs to replace 4 glow plugs in my box truck and I was told I would pay for 6 hrs even if they got them done in 45 minutes. I changed them myself in THREE MINUTES.

Things in the real world are spendy. I wish I could get things done for what other online say they can. Even if I do the work myself, the parts are usually just as spendy as what a whole project cost other people.

Reading this, thinking I hope shops near me are better. Then you name my city.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i just (tried) to read this whole thread, and to me your making this harder than it needs to be. The weight difference is not enough to notice. It's like having passengers compared to just the driver. I haven't been there very much lately but a local yard used to have a metric **** ton of these trucks, and just as many with the 6 lug 14 bolt. 3-4 were 3.42s. I'd price around shops, I just had a Detroit installed in a rear Dana 60 for $100.

Also, maybe look into vans. I noticed one the other day that I never knew or heard of, but a 6 lug Dana 60. These would have the same ratios available as trucks. Had disc's too.....

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i just (tried) to read this whole thread, and to me your making this harder than it needs to be. The weight difference is not enough to notice. It's like having passengers compared to just the driver. I haven't been there very much lately but a local yard used to have a metric **** ton of these trucks, and just as many with the 6 lug 14 bolt. 3-4 were 3.42s. I'd price around shops, I just had a Detroit installed in a rear Dana 60 for $100.

Also, maybe look into vans. I noticed one the other day that I never knew or heard of, but a 6 lug Dana 60. These would have the same ratios available as trucks. Had disc's too.....

Vans work but you have to move the spring perches.