no cheap lockers for 6 lug open diff?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't half ton guys want to pay big money for 6-lug 14bsf 9.5" rears? Maybe you could buy whatever with a G80 (8-lug 14ff probably cheap, on a truck you barely drive having to carry two different spare tires doesn't seem too bad) and sell your rear to break even?

I'm pretty sure b454rat is correct, LT1 equpped full-size cars around the mid-90's could come factory with a 5-lug 14bsf 9.5" rear (I think he's right, it was part of a towing package or something). Those axles are very desirable, like the 5-lug 454SS ones - so you don't usually see them laying around.

EDIT: I was wrong, not all fullsize cars could be had with a 9.5sf - it was only a Cadillac thing (I did a little research, you guys made me curious). It was also put in Cadillac herses and limos.

I missed the part bout the 9.5 semi float rear. Those cars had the 8.5 10 bolt, like the 1/2 ton in out trucks. The 2wd 6 lug 14sf is real narrow, not the same as the 4wd axle. A building's roof collapsed week ago, drove by today as they were cleaning it out, saw a 454SS truck in there. Roof got crushed, not sure what else, but if that hits the yard, that will make the first 14 bolt 5 lug in a junkyard lol.

JayMB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You were definitely right that full-size cars could be had with the "truck" (8.5") 10-bolt, but I once saw with my own eyes a GM car chassis (body was gone) with a 5-lug 9.5" 14sf. I assumed that was what you meant (didn't realize you missed 14bsf until after). I bet you there are ZERO of those in junkyards too (the one I saw already had a buyer).

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You were definitely right that full-size cars could be had with the "truck" (8.5") 10-bolt, but I once saw with my own eyes a GM car chassis (body was gone) with a 5-lug 9.5" 14sf. I assumed that was what you meant (didn't realize you missed 14bsf until after). I bet you there are ZERO of those in junkyards too (the one I saw already had a buyer).
I'd like to see a parts breakdown page from GM about the use of that rear in a car body. Unless an application like you mentioned before (hearse or limo) I'm not seeing it, mostly for clearance-to-underbody issues IMO. The 9.5" is a pretty large housing on the differential. So, I wonder if what you saw was some kind of a custom job?

The posi used in the B body 8.5" was an Auburn, btw

Richard

JayMB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have access to a parts breakdown page at the moment, but I can tell you that if I go on Rockauto and search for a 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood with a 5.7 V8, under Drivetrain, Differential Cover - they list the GM OEM 9.5sf cover (after all the normal 10-bolt 8.5 covers) as a possible replacement. Doesn't prove anything conclusively, but makes me feel a little bit less on crack, haha.

It is totally possible that what I saw a herse frame or something. I don't think so though.

A quick google shows me this guy who put a herse axle under a caprice and it fit (had to move spring pads an inch or something) so I'm pretty sure the 14sf would physically fit under most full size RWD GM cars of that era.

EDIT: I'm an idiot forgot to add the link:

https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthr...n-5-7l-project-46-mpg-33961-8.html#post614665

Also found this post that says '91-96 Fleetwood Brougham could be had with a 9.5sf:

https://www.performancetrucks.net/f.../official-14-bolt-9-5-sf-truck-thread-467473/

Again, not saying this guarantees they were under normal car chassis, but at least I'm not the only crackhead haha

Last edited:

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
I'm sure this bad boy towed this trailer like a boss!
You must be registered for see images attach

I want this whole setup. Not even kidding. :roflsquared:

You'd also have a hard time keeping me away from modifying it too. Big small block and a 4L80E for me! Maybe a diesel if the price was right!

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Tenhorse

Reaction score
I have had good luck with lunchbox lockers in the past. I ran a lock right in my 2wd S10 for the same reason. I installed it about 18 years ago. I eventually threw on some 33x12.50s and now I just bolted on some 38.5x14.50s in the rear. I had to trim the hell out of the rear bedsides to make them fit.

Tenhorse

Reaction score
I bought a lockright for my 9.5sf 14 bolt. Turns out i already had a gov lock. i checked the glove box and no G80 code. ill just put it up front. the gov lock unlocks at 20mph. if i punch the throttle from an idle, i blow past the engagement rpm of the gov lock and the big centrigual weight swings back to disengage before it ever engages. i can pull my front driveshaft and put it in 4 low and the gov lock engages fine. i'm going to modify the weights to change the engagement and disengagement points. i have a supercharged built 355. the gov lock acts a lot different with that motor compared to my vortec headed tbi motor from 15 years ago. i could do a normal posse burnout in my other k2500. this truck is all single trac unless youre in 4low. wide open is pretty violent.
has anybody ever run a lunchbox locker up front in
the 9.25" ifs? i wont do hard launches and have stock sized tires. if i grenade the case, it happens.