no cheap lockers for 6 lug open diff?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwill000

Reaction score
So my 91 2500 2wd gets stuck in wet grass with an open diff. I was looking for a cheap locker(powertrax for $300-400) but summit says there's only one for my rear end and it's $800+ what are my other options? find another axle? call somewhere else? Weld it and give up?

"The "small" GM 14-bolt has a 9 1/2-inch ring gear diameter", 6 lugs, 3.42 ratio by https://imgur.com/g3exrqx

thanks

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What about this one: https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/power...ne-lock-right-locker-1950-lr/_/R-BHKT-1950-LR

It's a "lunchbox" type locker, so it just drops into the open carrier, no setup required such as backlash, etc. However, not sure how friendly it will be on the street.

It "may" be cheaper to get find another 14BSF 6 lug with the G80. My brother found one for about $250 and we swapped it in his C1500. Also got the front spindles to convert all wheels to 6 lug. They are not as common, but they are out there.

It's strictly a farm truck, perhaps, then welding the axles together is the cheapest, LOL

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
DONT do a cheap lunchbox locker!

I had one in a ZR2 blazer years ago. Long story short going around corners in cold weather you go from 1-wheel clunk and bang drive to 0-wheel drive at the most in-opportune times.

I've heard that the more expensive lunchbox lockers are better these days but the cheap ones haven't changed.

Speaking from experience, I would rather deal with a full spool (welded) on the street over anything less than a full carrier locker.

Jwill000

Reaction score
DONT do a cheap lunchbox locker!

I had one in a ZR2 blazer years ago. Long story short going around corners in cold weather you go from 1-wheel clunk and bang drive to 0-wheel drive at the most in-opportune times.

I've heard that the more expensive lunchbox lockers are better these days but the cheap ones haven't changed.

Speaking from experience, I would rather deal with a full spool (welded) on the street over anything less than a full carrier locker.

this is a truck I just run to lowes and pick up lumber with and sometimes move crap around in the yard. not a daily driver, I barely put 5k miles on it a year. I'm just getting tired of getting stuck for no reason than a one tire fire

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
this is a truck I just run to lowes and pick up lumber with and sometimes move crap around in the yard. not a daily driver, I barely put 5k miles on it a year. I'm just getting tired of getting stuck for no reason than a one tire fire

This may not be ideal, but what about just swapping an 8 lug rear axle with the G80? Just get one that has the same Wheel Mounting Surface (WMS) width as yours... Those are everywhere and should be pretty darn cheap. Anywhere from $150-$250. Another $50 for U bolts. Don't they make 6 to 8 lug adapters? Run those on the front to keep all same wheels.

Jwill000

Reaction score
This may not be ideal, but what about just swapping an 8 lug rear axle with the G80? Just get one that has the same Wheel Mounting Surface (WMS) width as yours... Those are everywhere and should be pretty darn cheap. Anywhere from $150-$250. Another $50 for U bolts. Don't they make 6 to 8 lug adapters? Run those on the front to keep all same wheels.
That's what I'm wondering too. gonna see what the local yard has in stock. they put g80's in some cars and we cut the weights off so it stays engaged at higher rpm's, can you do similar with the ones in these trucks? a $300 locker was ok, but a $200-300 g80 would be ok too. really don't want to spend $500+, I just don't use the truck enough to justify it, just tired of having to park the car in the middle of the yard and wait for the ground to dry up to get it out

so there's a 9.5" g80 from a 14 bolt housing, can I just get the diff and put it in my axle?

Last edited:

CKVortec

Indian name is "Walks on Knuckles"
Reaction score
So my 91 2500 2wd gets stuck in wet grass with an open diff. I was looking for a cheap locker(powertrax for $300-400) but summit says there's only one for my rear end and it's $800+ what are my other options? find another axle? call somewhere else? Weld it and give up?

"The "small" GM 14-bolt has a 9 1/2-inch ring gear diameter", 6 lugs, 3.42 ratio by https://imgur.com/g3exrqx

"this is a truck I just run to lowes and pick up lumber with and sometimes move crap around in the yard. not a daily driver, I barely put 5k miles on it a year. I'm just getting tired of getting stuck for no reason than a one tire fire"

thanks

Your best option would be to sell it and get a 4x4, if you're looking to go cheap weld it up.
there are no cheap fixes that don't come with drawbacks.

Turbokat

Reaction score
I would look for a g80. Its not the most reliable locker but it works well enough

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's what I'm wondering too. gonna see what the local yard has in stock. they put g80's in some cars and we cut the weights off so it stays engaged at higher rpm's, can you do similar with the ones in these trucks? a $300 locker was ok, but a $200-300 g80 would be ok too. really don't want to spend $500+, I just don't use the truck enough to justify it, just tired of having to park the car in the middle of the yard and wait for the ground to dry up to get it out

so there's a 9.5" g80 from a 14 bolt housing, can I just get the diff and put it in my axle?

I "think" the only difference between the 14 bolt 9.5" 8 lug and 6 lug is the axles themselves, but not 100% positive. I believe WMS was different on the 2wd vs 4x4s, so that's another to look out for. Someone please confirm this statement...

Or you can read through here:https://www.performancetrucks.net/f...emi-float-8-lug-6-lug-they-same-530723/page2/

But you will have to setup the carrier since it has to come out such as preload, backlash, contact pattern...basically the whole enchilada.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Problem with the pattern change spacers (adapters) is you'll spend near $200 after shipping to get a pair with any decent quality, so it's no longer an inexpensive option.

Richard