no cheap lockers for 6 lug open diff?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
A locker in the front would give some pretty interesting steering characteristics.

Tenhorse

Reaction score
A locker in the front would give some pretty interesting steering characteristics.
i have the locker installed in the diff. i am completely rebuilding the front suspension this weekend. new ball joints, tie rod ends, cv axles, sway bar end links, polyurethane control arm bushings, amd hub bearings. ill let you know how it works out.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I was just thinking about the click/bang/pop that happens would be annoying at lower speeds and dangerous if it happens at higher speeds like on an on-ramp to the highway.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
A locker in the front makes it exceedingly difficult to steer.

Source: me, driving a vehicle that comes with selectable front locker from factory, a Mercedes Unimog. Goes from open, rear locked, front locked, all on the fly with a pull of a lever. Traction like mad but tough to steer.

Richard

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A locker in the front makes it exceedingly difficult to steer.

Source: me, driving a vehicle that comes with selectable front locker from factory, a Mercedes Unimog. Goes from open, rear locked, front locked, all on the fly with a pull of a lever. Traction like mad but tough to steer.

Richard

Yikes! A Mercedes you say? I looked it up and that thing looks like an evil beast!

I was going to say doesn't a Mercedes have some "smart" technology to figure that out for you?....I was thinking of a civilian sedan, LOL.

Seriously, front locker engaged and steering can't really occur at the same time. I think those Jeep guys running huge tires and doing crawling have selectable front diffs.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yikes! A Mercedes you say? I looked it up and that thing looks like an evil beast!

I was going to say doesn't a Mercedes have some "smart" technology to figure that out for you?....I was thinking of a civilian sedan, LOL.

Seriously, front locker engaged and steering can't really occur at the same time. I think those Jeep guys running huge tires and doing crawling have selectable front diffs.
Technology? :D :D :D

You must be registered for see images attach

Yeah, it's got some.. the lockers are cable-operated, with a three-position lever near the shifter. Kinda looks like an e-brake handle. Open, rear locked, front locked. OK, the newer 'Mogs are crazy expensive and full of tech, but this one was super old school, just a tough old ******* that could go anywhere, trail or not.

Richard