New tools!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with "rechargeable" battery-powered tools is not that they don't have power.

The problem is that they don't have service life. The battery packs die early; I'm under the impression that they work "ok" for two or three years when used and recharged every day. For an occasional user, the batteries are always dead when you need 'em, gotta put 'em on the charger the day before you need the tool, and apparently that's really hard on 'em.

I've got air tools that are decades-old, and they still kick ass on the bottom-feeder "new" air tools.

Father-in-Law gave me a cordless drill, it was done in three months. New batteries cost more than the stupid drill. Newer battery packs aren't as bad as my old drill, but they're still dead long before my air tools wear out.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The problem with "rechargeable" battery-powered tools is not that they don't have power.

The problem is that they don't have service life. The battery packs die early; I'm under the impression that they work "ok" for two or three years when used and recharged every day. For an occasional user, the batteries are always dead when you need 'em, gotta put 'em on the charger the day before you need the tool, and apparently that's really hard on 'em.

I've got air tools that are decades-old, and they still kick ass on the bottom-feeder "new" air tools.

Father-in-Law gave me a cordless drill, it was done in three months. New batteries cost more than the stupid drill. Newer battery packs aren't as bad as my old drill, but they're still dead long before my air tools wear out.
I used to think this way too. Now, I rarely ever have to run the air compressor. I am usually done with the project before the compressor would have built pressure. I really like the newer cordless technology.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For an occasional user, the batteries are always dead when you need 'em, gotta put 'em on the charger the day before you need the tool, and apparently that's really hard on 'em.
The old NiCads were like that but the Lithium-Ions aren't. I have 2 batteries/cordless tool. One is always on the charger while I'm using the other. I just don't like having a long donkey tail hanging off the end of the tool. I do have air tools also but I rarely use them anymore. My old 5HP air compressor can keep up with just about anything I throw at it :waytogo:
Someday I'll even fix the oil leak, ha ha.
You must be registered for see images attach

Edit: Since I use a lot of them woodworking too, I can't have air tool oil dripping all over either :33:

Last edited:

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I still have every single dewalt 20v and 12v battery that I have ever had. some are 12 years old and they have all seen commercial use as a cabinet maker.

fast charging these batteries all the time can shorten there life or degrade there quality. but slow charging them can restore it. I seen this in my 12v batteries that I used to always fast charge. I thought my drills were dying but it was the batteries. I still have those 2 batteries and they are absolutely fine after I stopped fast charging them.

I have about 25 dewalt cordless tools and I have only had the stupid chainsaw die on me. dont buy dewalt chainsaws unless you never put oil in them so it cant leak inside and short out! My hammer drill that is 12 or more years old is just starting to die but it's just the brushes. and I know those brushes took a beating while drilling 8" holes in ice for ice fishing. :)

I cant stand the sound of the brushless drills and I dont like how they do not instantly stop when you take your finger off the trigger. I watched my old boss accidentally drive screws through the back of cabinets and into the particle board or plywood over and over again. meanwhile he made fun of my "dinky" 12v drills with the perfect amount of power for cabinetry that stop when you want them to.

I have a couple 20V brushless tools like the fan, the leaf blower, 2 orbital sanders and a router.

Now I just need to learn how to repair the brushes in my old tools to bring them back to life.

but all of these batteries are absolutely fine after all these years and the tools, for the most part continue to take a beating.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a handful of Ryobi rechargeable tools. I've had issues with both the batteries and the tools themselves. I can't recommend them. We use Dewalt rechargeables at the track, and they're great, but after about ten years of use, we replaced all the batteries with eBay generics and they're running great again. A slow charger definitely helps maintain the batteries.

I'm interested in the Makita rechargeable chainsaw, so I'm interested in switching to Makita's rechargeable tools, but I'm looking at a grand to buy the basics. Maybe when I win the lottery... but then I'd have to start playing the lottery.

As for new tools, I bought this yesterday, so we can fix the transmission tunnel on our race car. I have a dent in the front of my hood I'm going to test it on. I'll give a review when I get around to it.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a handful of Ryobi rechargeable tools. I've had issues with both the batteries and the tools themselves. I can't recommend them. We use Dewalt rechargeables at the track, and they're great, but after about ten years of use, we replaced all the batteries with eBay generics and they're running great again. A slow charger definitely helps maintain the batteries.

I'm interested in the Makita rechargeable chainsaw, so I'm interested in switching to Makita's rechargeable tools, but I'm looking at a grand to buy the basics. Maybe when I win the lottery... but then I'd have to start playing the lottery.

As for new tools, I bought this yesterday, so we can fix the transmission tunnel on our race car. I have a dent in the front of my hood I'm going to test it on. I'll give a review when I get around to it.
I have one of those and it works pretty decent.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Don't forget Cornball tools. My 1st set of tools was Indestro-Select (not Super), pretty good until I upgraded to Craftsman in the early 70's, ha ha. I never liked SK sockets, the walls were too thick but, their 3/8" "plug wrench" was great. As much as I turn a wrench anymore, I'll use what I have, occaisionally buy a specialty tool online, go to HF, or call the kid :anitoof:. For example, Monday he's bringing over his ball joint press to do my left lower one. A pretty good deal, he works on my truck, I hand him tools, buy the beer and dinner at the local Tin Top Bar and Grille. We're regulars there :waytogo:
That is called working smarter, not harder.:waytogo:

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
I rather enjoy my cordless tools, like was said I am done or almost done by the time my compressor builds pressure. I have a myriad of air tools but my I still go to my cordless stuff daily.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Shurkey, I used to think that way too... If it doesnt plug into something (electric, air, hydraulic) its useless. But that was back when Ni-Metal-Hydried (sp?) was the only battery you could get, you had to treat those batteries like a first born child if you wanted them to last more than a year. Also the chargers for those were like the old car chargers where you could fry a battery if you left it on too long.

Years later I started working with Dewault and Milwaukee lithium's at work and I slowly changed my mind about cordless. After working with both the the best in the industry I finally broke down and bought a bunch of Milwaukee Fuel stuff, which IMO is the best as of right now (Ingersol Rand is coming out with some cool cordless stuff right now though).

I got a Milwaukee fuel impact driver, drill, sawzall, 5" grinder and a few extra higher amp/hr batteries. With a circular saw and 1/2" impact on my wish list, among other things.

Expensive, YES, but after working heavily with these for years and abusing them like a red headed step child I know these will last.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After working with both the the best in the industry I finally broke down and bought a bunch of Milwaukee Fuel stuff, which IMO is the best as of right now (Ingersol Rand is coming out with some cool cordless stuff right now though).
Check out Festool stuff :anitoof:

Edit: I keep forgetting some folks can't access the link with https:// here's the link without it.
www.festoolproducts.com/?msclkid=d169fe51ff0716be4d439fc4391d61c8

Last edited: