Bought a new 3/8" ratchet and other tools

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My only issue with tekton is the markings on the black impact sockets become hard to see. Overall they are great, i rank them up there with grey phuematic

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used my new ratchet too, but I really would have liked to have used a breaker bar, or a 1/2 ratchet with 3/8" adapter, but I don't have a 3/8" breaker bar
Suggestion: Buy quality "long handle" 3/8" and 1/2" ratchets that will take the extra torque/leverage, forget the breaker bars.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Suggestion: Buy quality "long handle" 3/8" and 1/2" ratchets that will take the extra torque/leverage, forget the breaker bars.

My father was just telling me the other day how much he liked his long handle ratchet. I'll likely buy both eventually. Usually what I do for 3/8" drive is just use an adapter on one of my 1/2" drive breaker bars.

I'm also thinking about getting some of the stubby ratchets.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By most accounts, I was already "Ratchet Crazy"; but starting several years ago I did it up right. Bought all sorts of goofy ratchets from eBay; new or lightly-used, but heavily-discounted. And two, more recently, direct from the Snappy truck; at horrendous prices (but I REALLY like them.)

I've had the "normal" non-flex long-handle Snap-On 3/8-drive (#9) and 1/2-drive (#10) ratchets since the '80s. That was when Snappy was "expensive" but not "batshit crazy expensive". The 3/8 version has been my favorite ratchet up to the point that I bought the even-longer (about 12") FHNF100 (#8) swivel-ratchet. If it was quick-release, it'd be PERFECT.

There's several companies making 3/8 ratchets with 18" long handles...I think they'd be more trouble than they're worth--but I could be wrong.

The 24" SLF80A flex handle (#11) is also recommended; although I wish it also was quick-release, and "maybe" the locking flex-head version.

The "best" stubby 3/8 ratchet is the oddball Snappy FZ80 or the older equivalents like my #4. Usable as-is, or can be plugged-into extensions and secondary ratchets to make a "crowfoot adapter" for unusual clearance-limited situations. However, for some applications, it's tough to beat a 1/4 ratchet body with a compact 3/8 drive square repair kit crammed into it. I've got a couple like that, one of them is a Mac/Proto "Spinflex" #5.

(Older photo of ratchets I actually used, not including newer purchases, and stuff I inherited from random sources that live in secondary tool boxes and hardly get used.)
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
By most accounts, I was already "Ratchet Crazy"; but starting several years ago I did it up right. Bought all sorts of goofy ratchets from eBay; new or lightly-used, but heavily-discounted. And two, more recently, direct from the Snappy truck; at horrendous prices (but I REALLY like them.)

I've had the "normal" non-flex long-handle Snap-On 3/8-drive (#9) and 1/2-drive (#10) ratchets since the '80s. That was when Snappy was "expensive" but not "batshit crazy expensive". The 3/8 version has been my favorite ratchet up to the point that I bought the even-longer (about 12") FHNF100 (#8) swivel-ratchet. If it was quick-release, it'd be PERFECT.

There's several companies making 3/8 ratchets with 18" long handles...I think they'd be more trouble than they're worth--but I could be wrong.

The 24" SLF80A flex handle (#11) is also recommended; although I wish it also was quick-release, and "maybe" the locking flex-head version.

The "best" stubby 3/8 ratchet is the oddball Snappy FZ80 or the older equivalents like my #4. Usable as-is, or can be plugged-into extensions and secondary ratchets to make a "crowfoot adapter" for unusual clearance-limited situations. However, for some applications, it's tough to beat a 1/4 ratchet body with a compact 3/8 drive square repair kit crammed into it. I've got a couple like that, one of them is a Mac/Proto "Spinflex" #5.

(Older photo)

What is #4? That looks like a 1/2" drive extension would plug into the "handle".

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "best" stubby 3/8 ratchet is the oddball Snappy FZ80 or the older equivalents like my #4. Usable as-is, or can be plugged-into extensions and secondary ratchets to make a "crowfoot adapter" for unusual clearance-limited situations.

What is #4? That looks like a 1/2" drive extension would plug into the "handle".
3/8" drive, not 1/2". Not apparent in the photo is that there's a square-drive in the end as well as the visible hole through the handle. A breaker-bar or extension could get crammed into the end-hole for more leverage.

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My only issue with tekton is the markings on the black impact sockets become hard to see. Overall they are great, i rank them up there with grey phuematic
From their website they are stamped as well as etched. I believe they started doing this more recently. Heard on another forum that it was a recent change to counter loosing the other markings.