New tools!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I learned the chrome tools / impact wrench lesson with an ancient (this was a LONG time ago) USA Craftsman chrome 1/2" universal joint; and my employer's impact wrench 'cause I didn't own one at the time.

Not only did the U-joint shatter, but it lacerated my hand when it exploded.

I started-out with a total mish-mash of tool brands--Craftsman, mostly, but Government surplus stuff, no-name Asian stuff...you name it, I probably had some of that. Brands I'd never heard of before, looking and feeling rinky-diink mixed in with some "good stuff".

I have this policy: If a tool breaks, and has a warranty, I get it replaced and carry on. If a tool breaks, and I see my own blood, I get it replaced, sell it or give it away, and in the meantime I get a better tool from a Famous Supplier (generally Mac or Snappy, sometimes MATCO.) I didn't realize back then that there's the whole "industrial" tool market, professional-grade tools at ~2/3 or less the price of the "tool truck" brands. (Williams, owned by Snap-On; Proto, owned by the same folks who own Mac; Armstrong, owned at one time by the folks who owned MATCO but Armstrong is out-of-business now and MATCO got sold-off again, Wright, still independent after all these years, and of course SK which is marketed as "mechanics" tools but priced like the industrial brands--way less than the Tool Trucks.)

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget Cornball tools. My 1st set of tools was Indestro-Select (not Super), pretty good until I upgraded to Craftsman in the early 70's, ha ha. I never liked SK sockets, the walls were too thick but, their 3/8" "plug wrench" was great. As much as I turn a wrench anymore, I'll use what I have, occaisionally buy a specialty tool online, go to HF, or call the kid :anitoof:. For example, Monday he's bringing over his ball joint press to do my left lower one. A pretty good deal, he works on my truck, I hand him tools, buy the beer and dinner at the local Tin Top Bar and Grille. We're regulars there :waytogo:

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't forget Cornball tools.
I won't step foot on their truck again. Somewhere in the end of 18 or the start of 19 I took a 1/2" ratchet and a 1/2" torque wrench to Cornhole to be replaced or repaired. He said no problem but he needed the kit for the ratchet and he had to send the torque wrench in. I checked with him after a month on the ratchet and he said that the kit was due any day. Another month goes by and he said that they accidentally shipped the wrong one. I ask him about the torque wrench and he said that it was in the queue. Another month goes by and he says that he is going back to a trade show and that he'll make sure that he brings the right one back. When he came back he said that the kit had been discontinued so he would replace the ratchet. About that time I changed jobs. After several months he finally gave the ratchet to a friend of mine to give back to me! My friend and I both tried to get the torque wrench back but he said that it is with Cornhole. I called Cornhole with the serial number and they have never received it. I immediately sold all of my Cornhole tools and I've never looked back.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cornwell reminds me a lot of MATCO.

Both mainly sell stuff made by other manufacturers, neither one "makes" much of anything. Far as I know, MATCO makes nothing but "some" of their tool boxes; Cornwell makes some sockets and wrenches and ratchets--if you shop carefully--and they own a toolbox-making company.

Mac shares a lot of production with Proto, they buy-in all the power tools although some are made by Dewalt. Mac, Proto, Dewalt (and Crapsman) along with many other well-known names are all part of the Stanley tool conglomerate.

Used to be that anything that said "Snap-On" on it was made by Snap-On; the bought-in stuff was sold as "Blue-Point". I don't think that's true any more. The Snappy empire is similar to the Stanley empire--some power tools are shared with Sioux (which they own) or even made BY Snap-On. At least some of the Diagnostics seem to be made BY Snap-On. Torque wrenches are made by CDI (which they own) but may have "Snap-On" ratchet heads instead of generic ratchet heads.

Point being, it's hard to tell the players without a program.

This one is several years old, but "was" pretty accurate, if incomplete.

You must be registered for see images attach

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It will take about 4 months but I just ordered a black and purple 6 drawer service cart through snap on. I had them change it up and put 2 2" drawers on top instead of the 4" drawer. It ends up being a 7 drawer when it is done.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
"Rechargeable" battery powered tools are why I own an air compressor.

I want both :) I've used an electric impact that would snap bolts if you weren't careful. They were small bolts, but still. They sure look conveint when I see everyone use them on Youtube. I'm not the battery boy my cousin is... he's always chasing the latest and greatest, switching all his tools over to an empty wallet, but I would like a select few.

I would very much like a decent compressor, but I'd like an older used one, not some el-cheapo air-less compressor from HF. It seems like I either see huge compressors, or questionable condition smaller one. I really need to get the garage cleaned up beforehand.