Bought a new 3/8" ratchet and other tools

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I too love the HF composites except that they are bulky. I don't see the Tekton composites on their site anymore, but I could be missing them. From my understanding they are the same ratchets but were more expensive from Tekton, so I would continue to buy the HF. You can also warranty out that ratchet at HF.

Yes, the original design is bulky. They do have the more expensive longer and thinner design, too. I don't have any of that design, Though.

I noticed the similarity between the Tekton and HF composites, but given that they're made to spec, was hoping there was a positive difference in Tekton.

I like non-quick release for clearance mostly. I've had a few times where I'm in a tight spot and have accidentally hit the button and dropped the socket. I don't have an issue with quick release, just would like some that aren't quick release as well. On my thin profile ratchets the button sits flush so I have had less of an issue hitting that button on accident, but the Tekton ratchets it's not flush.

Makes sense.

Extension storage/organization is a tough one. Mine are all just laying down in a drawer, but I feel like there has to be a better way to store them. I have thought about getting trays and putting all of the same size extensions in each tray. My problem with that is not being able to easily see which extensions did not make it back in the box.

Exactly the same here.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I bought this steel mesh "silverware tray" at Wally World a couple years ago, maybe an idea you can run with?
You must be registered for see images attach

That looks pretty good! I have an issue that complicates a lot of cheap/easy solution, Though. I have a blueprint cabinet as a tool box, and the drawers are not really deep enough. I do like the square footage, and the strength (paper is heavy), Though.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a blueprint cabinet as a tool box, and the drawers are not really deep enough. I do like the square footage, and the strength (paper is heavy), Though.
Another avenue, I bought these dividers online somewhere (I can't remember). They're shallow enough to fit in my 1-1/2" drawers. I just have to be careful getting them nested properly before closing the drawers.

As far as making sure you have all of your tools in the drawer at the end of the job, what we did in 5S, Lean Manufacturing, FOD, etc, was organize your cabinet or drawer, take a picture of it, put it in a sleeve, and hang the picture on the door or side of the cabinet. A quick look at the drawer and the picture will confirm everything's there. Just a thought...

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, where did you find them? I think 1.5" might fit.
I had to go through ~30 pages to find them...

www.gmt400.com/threads/new-tools.35431/post-1059323

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I had to go through ~30 pages to find them...

www.gmt400.com/threads/new-tools.35431/post-1059323

Oh, they're made by Ernst! That's the company that makes my socket rails. Thank you, I'll measure my drawers and hopefully those will fit.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I used the new bolt extractor sockets today. I did need to use a brass hammer to tap them in place, but they did the job. I used my new ratchet too, but I really would have liked to have used a breaker bar, or a 1/2 ratchet with 3/8" adapter, but I don't have a 3/8" breaker bar, and I had the wrong adapter with me. Good purchases, I think.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
My HF general box is mostly all Tekton. I ordered direct from their site. Gets ya 10% cash back to use on tools later. My tire guy even started fillin his box with tekton. The warranty process was easy. Even when my camera broke I called in (to someone in AMERICA! Imagine my shock!) And he said ok new ones on the way, keep the old one. 3 days later had a new wrench.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The first item or two I bought from Meijer's, but they stopped carrying Tekton. So I've been ordering through Amazon, but I think they may be shipping direct from thier own warehouse as that was the address on the packing slip. They're in Grand Rapids.