My truck is a killer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I mention Odyssey every time someone brings up batteries. They're super expensive but I'm convinced they're the best car battery on the market. I run them in everything and I've only had to replace one, it lasted a little over eight years. Made in the USA by Enersys.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Regarding the IAC and tail light circuit boards, are you replacing them with OEM or aftermarket options? OEM is always best if you can, that applies to pretty much anything electrical on these trucks IMO. I'm not running the tail light circuit boards any more, but neither of my '97s has ever killed an IAC. (knock on wood)

Also just FYI running 89 octane really isn't necessary unless your PCM has been tuned for it. It'll run just as well if not better on 87, and not cost you quite as much at the pump.

CKVortec

Indian name is "Walks on Knuckles"
Reaction score
My Zombie Apocalypse edition Suburban kills lots of bugs and drags a moose home now and then.
Between my ol' lady and myself we have a '99 Suburban 2500HD, '00 Pickup 2500HD and a '99 pickup 2500HD all with 5.7 Vortec and 4l80E. None of them eat parts, nothing that I have replaced has had to be redone except brakes on the burban from almost 10 years of towing boats and trailers for fishing/hunting. Some trips were 500-800 miles pulling a heavy trailer.
All of them have the original tail light circuit boards and the batteries are lasting 10+ years.
From my experience, if you are killing batteries it is either from letting them sit for too long in cold weather, overcharging, or going cheap.
I have dual batteries and high amp alternators in 2 out of 3 rigs and only replaced batteries in one due to the ol' lady leaving the dome light on in freezing weather when I was out of town and it sat for 5 days like that.
Heads up, dead batteries will freeze when a charged battery will not. Once frozen (sides bulge out) they are done.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mine tried to kill ME when the PS pump shaft snapped off. Lost steering assist and brakes while loaded with broken concrete on the way to the landfill.

My Suburban blew a rear brake line coming to a stop in traffic once. The E-brake saved me from rear ending a fancy new BMW. That was pretty scary, but I think you still win the thread!

jjupiter100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just checked old receipts and I replaced the IAC in March 2010 with a BWD valve. It was $90.99. Guess I thought it was cheaper. Just bought a new one from O'Reilly and it was $72.99. AC Delco made one, but it had a 3 pin connector. Mine has 4 pin and I'm not going to change a pigtail for it.
The tail light circuit boards are always some cheap brand I think.

As I was removing the cold air intake, the fat rubber gasket going from MAF sensor to filter housing is kinda cut up. Of course K&N doesn't sell replacement parts, only the whole brand new thing :banghead:. Same with the spacer gasket to the intake pipe.

I drive it maybe 5k miles a year. It normally doesn't sit for more than a week at a time.