Fixing the Truck to Death – time to cut my losses?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hadn't considered that. Is there an easy method of getting the coolant out of the block?

Edit: I suppose I could empty the radiator and run the engine till the steam stops. Heck, engine might run much better once the steam stops - at least for a little while.
Remove the block drain plug on the left side,knock sensor on the right. If you intend to ever try and fix that engine don't run it too long with no coolant in it. With 0 coolant,3min max.

PlatonicSolid

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remove the block drain plug on the left side,knock sensor on the right. If you intend to ever try and fix that engine don't run it too long with no coolant in it. With 0 coolant,3min max.
It's a 454 = no knock sensor. I didn't know there was a block drain plug. I'll see if I can find it/them in the manual. What little google offers says to look near the engine mounts.

Assuming antifreeze acts as a corrosion inhibitor, is there any risk to other components buy not having coolant in the block?

Now that the pressure is off = picking up the 2013 Silverado Saturday morning, I'll take on the learning experience of replacing the head gaskets this spring. Been watching lots of engine rebuild videos in preparation. Toying with the possibility of installing some Edelbrock aluminum heads to go with the Edelbrock aluminum intake that's on there now.

Thank you!

Edit: So I just looked at the odometer on the truck and it shows 151,000 miles. The odometer when I had the Jasper long block installed in 2007 was 137,000. That's only 14,000 miles in 16 years.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remove the block drain plug on the left side,knock sensor on the right.
Small-blocks, yes.

Not so sure about big-blocks in the TBI era. The Vortec big-blocks have blind holes for the two knock sensors, and block drain plugs on both sides.

It's a 454 = no knock sensor.
Of course there's a knock sensor. Maybe two of 'em. The question is whether GM put 'em in the block drain holes, or if the blocks were cast with blind holes for the knock sensors, so that they didn't occupy the block drain holes.

I didn't know there was a block drain plug. I'll see if I can find it/them in the manual. What little google offers says to look near the engine mounts.
My '97 454 for reference. Your '89 may or may not be similar. I'm too lazy to open the service manual and look.

Driver's side, iron/steel block drain plug replaced with brass draincock just ahead of the oil-filter area. Knock sensor in blind hole just ahead of block draincock.
You must be registered for see images attach

Passenger side. Block drain plug replaced with elbow and draincock, just in front of starter and knock sensor, and behind block heater. The perspective in this photo is goofy. Makes it look like the draincock is pointing "up", when in fact the block is angled, the draincock is almost exactly horizontal.

PlatonicSolid

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course there's a knock sensor. Maybe two of 'em. The question is whether GM put 'em in the block drain holes, or if the blocks were cast with blind holes for the knock sensors, so that they didn't occupy the block drain holes.
89 Manual says no knock sensor:
Section "7"
Electronic Spark Control (ESC)
This system uses a knock sensor in connection with the ECM to control spark timing to allow the engine to have maximum spark advance without spark knock. This improves driveability and fuel economy and is used on all engines except the 2.5L & 7.4L.

My '97 454 for reference. Your '89 may or may not be similar. I'm too lazy to open the service manual and look.

Driver's side, iron/steel block drain plug replaced with brass draincock just ahead of the oil-filter area. Knock sensor in blind hole just ahead of block draincock.

Passenger side. Block drain plug replaced with elbow and draincock, just in front of starter and knock sensor, and behind block heater. The perspective in this photo is goofy. Makes it look like the draincock is pointing "up", when in fact the block is angled, the draincock is almost exactly horizontal.

Excellent! Thanks for the pics. Like the draincocks as long as they don't get clogged.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ethylene glycol antifreeze becomes acidic over time hence the two year coolant change listed in repair manuals. Seems to accel in deterioration when exposed to air. I've gotten salvage yard engines that were seriously rusted inside and had antifreeze pouring out while I was loading them in the truck. I say drain it all and run the engine for a few minutes with the hoses off to dry it out inside. Then put the hoses and radiator cap back on to keep it sealed up.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Ethylene glycol antifreeze becomes acidic over time hence the two year coolant change listed in repair manuals. Seems to accel in deterioration when exposed to air. I've gotten salvage yard engines that were seriously rusted inside and had antifreeze pouring out while I was loading them in the truck. I say drain it all and run the engine for a few minutes with the hoses off to dry it out inside. Then put the hoses and radiator cap back on to keep it sealed up.
Dexcool is really bad about that, and that's why it eats gaskets.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Caterpiller use to sell a product they called coolant life extender,may have just been bicarbonate of soda and distilled water to bring the ph level up.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
89 Manual says no knock sensor:
Section "7"
Electronic Spark Control (ESC)
This system uses a knock sensor in connection with the ECM to control spark timing to allow the engine to have maximum spark advance without spark knock. This improves driveability and fuel economy and is used on all engines except the 2.5L & 7.4L.
I had to go look it up for myself. 1989 Light Duty Truck Fuel and Emissions Including Driveability service manual, 3-64 and the entire section 7, confirm that the 7.4L does not have a knock sensor.

I WAS WRONG.

I thought every computer-controlled GM vehicle had at least one knock sensor. My brain has exploded.

Like the draincocks as long as they don't get clogged.
Clogging is not a problem.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
:)

PlatonicSolid

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drained the radiator and removed the right side engine drain plug. Total coolant removed = 4 gallons. Total coolant capacity = 6.2 gallons. Can't remove the left block drain plug without removing the engine mount - can't get a tool onto it (see pic).
I've run it twice since draining the coolant and it's still spewing white smoke. Only running it for 2 minutes at a time and only running it once a day to make sure it's fully cooled off. I have not put the thermostat back in.

SteelSeal is sending me 2 more bottles since the first 2 didn't work. I may give that another shot as I have nothing to lose.