Fixing the Truck to Death – time to cut my losses?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have used KW Permanent Metallic Block Seal on two engines. It actually worked on the Oldsmobile 455, and failed on the Flathead Ford.
www.amazon.com/401016-Block-Permanent-MetallicTM-Radiator/dp/B000CIPV5E/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2IM67J8P3IQVH
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
You must be registered for see images attach

The instructions say that the cooling system has to be completely free of antifreeze--drained and flushed. Antifreeze will prevent it from working.

One wonders if the SteelSeal also requires the antifreeze to be "gone". If so...you'll be expending the effort to remove that block drain plug, and flushing the cooling system including the heater.

Wild Guess: The exhaust system has coolant in it, which will steam every time the engine gets warm, until exhaust heat dries-up the exhaust tubing/muffler, etc. Overall, this is not healthy for the catalyst...but you'll find out whether or not it survived.

PlatonicSolid

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have used KW Permanent Metallic Block Seal on two engines. It actually worked on the Oldsmobile 455, and failed on the Flathead Ford.
www.amazon.com/401016-Block-Permanent-MetallicTM-Radiator/dp/B000CIPV5E/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2IM67J8P3IQVH
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
You must be registered for see images attach

The instructions say that the cooling system has to be completely free of antifreeze--drained and flushed. Antifreeze will prevent it from working.

One wonders if the SteelSeal also requires the antifreeze to be "gone". If so...you'll be expending the effort to remove that block drain plug, and flushing the cooling system including the heater.

Wild Guess: The exhaust system has coolant in it, which will steam every time the engine gets warm, until exhaust heat dries-up the exhaust tubing/muffler, etc. Overall, this is not healthy for the catalyst...but you'll find out whether or not it survived.
From what I'm reading I think most of these pour in fixes are sodium silicate. SteelSeal claims it is not sodium silicate (sort of) - stating: "Steel Seal is a unique mixture of chemical compounds that have been specially blended to react under sufficient heat and pressure to create a hardened seal in the damaged area of a head gasket or block. ... Unfortunately, while using Sodium Silicate will initially seem to fix the issue, Sodium Silicate is also commonly known as ‘Liquid Glass’ or ‘Water Glass’. The reason for this is that Sodium Silicate once heated and cooled down will harden to a glass like substance. This substance cannot possibly stand up to the heat and pressure within the engine and this ‘seal’ will eventually break and the problem of the blown head gasket will return."

SteelSeal says it's not compatible with all anti-freeze formulations - stating: "We do not recommend using Steel Seal with long life / extended antifreeze.", though it would be helpful if they had a list of acceptable/unacceptable coolants or at least define what qualifies as "long life".
They do show 2 recommended coolants:
Prestone Low-Tox Propylene Glycol pH 8-11
Prestone conventional green antifreeze Ethylene Glycol— pH 8-11

I flushed it prior to use anyway, running a mixture of SteelSeal and distilled water. It would certainly be easier if I didn't have to do that.

I think it didn't work for me as I did not remove the spark plug from the offending cylinder - assuming I can figure out which one that is. My guess is left rear #7. Probably easiest to just remove the spark plug and see if it still generates steam.

I should probably remove the lower radiator hose and see if I can get more coolant out that way.