My truck will not Rev past 3000 rpm all of the time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RyleeBoh

Reaction score
I have a 1996 gmc k1500, 5.0 v8. I have replaced several parts. When I accelerate hard enough to get to 3,000 rpm my truck will stutter almost like it has a rev limiter. It will also do this in park while just revving it. I replaced, MAF sensor, TP sensor, IAC valve, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, fuel pump, fuel filter. There may be a few things im missing. I am honestly at a loss and don’t know what to do next. The only thing I can think of is maybe clogged cats or trying to get a fuel pressure test even tho the pump is brand new. If anyone has any Idea please share. Thankyou

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1996 gmc k1500, 5.0 v8. I have replaced several parts. When I accelerate hard enough to get to 3,000 rpm my truck will stutter almost like it has a rev limiter. It will also do this in park while just revving it. I replaced, MAF sensor, TP sensor, IAC valve, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, fuel pump, fuel filter. There may be a few things im missing. I am honestly at a loss and don’t know what to do next. The only thing I can think of is maybe clogged cats or trying to get a fuel pressure test even tho the pump is brand new. If anyone has any Idea please share. Thankyou
First thing first, test your fuel pressure for sure.
At prime, at idle, revved up.
Do you have a code reader or better yet, a scanner with live data?

RyleeBoh

Reaction score
I do not but my buddy does. Last time I looked at my codes all i had was a O2 sensor code P0158. He also has a fuel pressure tester so we could do those at the time.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So, to be sure, you had the P0158 code before you shot the parts cannon at the problem or it showed up after? It would help to get complete and chronological order info. Had you done any work to the truck before the problem started? It is an oxygen sensor on p/s and after cat. You may well have a clogged catalytic converter. You can do a back pressure test or the poor man's way is to unhook the exhaust in front of the cat and see if the free flow fixes the power problem. I would be curious about fuel pressure too but I doubt that you had the problem from a bad fuel pump and then bolted in another bad fuel pump.

Welcome to the forum.

RyleeBoh

Reaction score
I had the O2 sensor code as of a few months ago. I did not do much work related to the engine before the issue started. My buddy does have a exhaust pressure tester thing so we can try that when He finds it.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
"Code few months ago, but is constant". "Not much engine related work" before issue started. Pulling teeth here. Please share what work was done before the issue started.

RyleeBoh

Reaction score
Really nothing I bought it last summer and didn’t have many issues till winter hit. I changed the MAF sensor but that is it. As it used to stutter and stall at lights. I got a new one and fixed the problem.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So the rest of your list of parts are AFTER the problem started. The MAF was before, to fix a stutter and stall at lights. The rest are for attempts to fix the existing problem, CORRECT?