This truck is getting me worried

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
*dusts cobwebs from old obd1 memories* If I'm recalling correctly, the fuel pump gets triggered from ecm when you turn the key on for approximately 2 seconds. Then the ecm waits for notification that the engine is running. This occurs by 2 methods. 1- crank sensor indicating engine turning, or 2- presence of oil pressure via oil pressure sensor.
Crank sensors can go bad, but it'll still run because of the secondary oil pressure sensor backup.
The fuel pump won't be running all the time the key is on. That makes one-man diagnostics a bit difficult. My personal trick is to remove fuel pump relay and place jumper wire between hot wire and load wire, thereby sending power to the pump. If the pump does not operate in this scenario, you have constant current being supplied to the pump, and you can then check if you have power to the pump.
These trucks are getting older, and on my 94, I just had a tail light issue that turned out to be a broken wire in the harness under the cab. I jammed a long extension between brake pedal and seat, grabbed test light, probed wire until I found the dead area.
I hope this gives you some ideas!
TBI doesn't have a crank sensor. The signal comes from the distributor module. This is only for spark though. On TBI motors the fuel pump will run until the system is pressurized when the key is turned on regardless if there is RPM or not. The oil pressure sending unit is the backup fuel pump relay.