Little white switch on the ignition switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dwragon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know what the little two wire white switch on the top of ignition switch does (multiple years 94 to 2002 that I know of)? Was changing out a switch when the white switch plastic crumbled. I think it has something to do with security, and can it be bypassed?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There wasn't an antitheft feature on GMT400's until 1998 brought Passlock onto the scene and that's a black plug with several wires coming off the steering column casting just above the ignition switch tumbler.

1994 and 1995-up are very different columns, but I suspect on 1995-up (your truck is a 1997 correct?) you may be looking at the key-in-ignition switch which would operate the chime so you don't forget the key? 1994-older has that feature too but it's a small chunk of plastic inside the column with a couple contacts coming off it.

Richard

dwragon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There wasn't an antitheft feature on GMT400's until 1998 brought Passlock onto the scene and that's a black plug with several wires coming off the steering column casting just above the ignition switch tumbler.

1994 and 1995-up are very different columns, but I suspect on 1995-up (your truck is a 1997 correct?) you may be looking at the key-in-ignition switch which would operate the chime so you don't forget the key? 1994-older has that feature too but it's a small chunk of plastic inside the column with a couple contacts coming off it.

Richard
Ahh, ok, so if it has nothing to do with security, (being the key-in-ignition switch which would operate the chime) a person could just snip the wires and ignore it. I will try that and post the results. I so much miss my old 64 C10 death trap, it was so simpler....