Help with kill switch installation, 97 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

solaralexx

Reaction score
Hello! I am a new member with no mechanical experience but very comfortable with soldering. Please correct any misunderstandings if you see them :)

I recently bought a 1997 Tahoe 4dr 4WD and want to secure it by installing a killswitch. From ShadowRejects's post here I understand a simple way is to wire in a toggle switch to the ignition power wire. However, from capricefrk013's post here I got my hands on the Bosch relay guide which has this cool idea:

You must be registered for see images attach

(I added the numbers myself)

Q) Am I correct in thinking that it is possible to implement this under the dash just by splicing into the ignition harness and adding these components?

This page has a table mapping each ignition harness wire to a color. This video shows a nice clear view of the ignition harness for a 96 burb which I assume will be similar to mine:
You must be registered for see images attach

Q) Is it correct to say wire #1 above is the YELLOW or PURPLE wire powering the starter solenoid?
Q) Is it correct to say wire #2 above is the RED 12V constant wire, and what does this wire do?

Thanks a lot!!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know who drew up that diagram above, but that's not going to work. Hit that switch and all you'll do is blow that 5a fuse. Nothing else happens.

solaralexx

Reaction score
I don't know who drew up that diagram above, but that's not going to work. Hit that switch and all you'll do is blow that 5a fuse. Nothing else happens.
Yes, the switch needs to be open to start the vehicle, but you close it after turning off the ignition to arm it