Wiper switch replacement questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yeobee

Reaction score
93 Yukon. Wiper switch is all wonky. Feels like something is cracked in the switch housing. It absolutely will not accept the new stalk, nor can I get the old stalk back in no matter how I hold my mouth. It's also stuck on super low pulse which I can correct with a pick in the stem hole. I can also pick through all functions (high, low, pulse, squirters) with the same method. I believe the wiper motor board is just fine, but if it's not that will be considerably easier to tackle.

I can't find much of any procedure with the wiper switch. It appears the turn signal harness, which I just installed new, needs to be pulled back out of the column before the wiper switch plug can be pulled up through the column. Then the switch harness back through again after the wiper harness. These columns are quit the engineering feat. Not a fan.

Looking on RockAuto, they show with and without single key systems. Eh? What does that even mean and why would it even make a difference? The switches and harnesses all appear the same in the pics, but we know how that works. I dig RockAuto. Have plenty of magnets. This is not the first time they've tripped me up with odd part questions.

Appreciate the help.

yeobee

Reaction score
Oops. Forgot the refresh went to single key door / ignition. That answers that. Not too sure why tilt / no tilt would matter either. Possibly just harness length. I'll fumble through the switch replacement and drop any needed info here should it arise.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Factory service manual (link to free downloads in the Engine section) will have a diagram of the column parts breakdown and might possibly have steps for replacement of that switch; I haven't looked into the manual that far on this particular subject. It's not a fun job on the 1988-1994 columns but thankfully the wiper switches rarely go bad, making it an issue few have to tackle. It does indeed sound like yours is physically broken.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

yeobee

Reaction score
Richard. That's an excellent diagram. Thanks for posting this.

Received the part and tackled this today. I opted for OEM, not wanting to do this again.

If you can get all the way through to the turn signal switch / ignition switch replacement you're 90% of the way there. Plenty of videos and walkthroughs around that are put together well on this.

You do not need to pull the turn signal switch harness back through the column. Disconnecting the turn signal switch harness gives enough play to sneak the wiper switch harness through in the exact same method. Using wire or string taped to the wiper harness plug to get through the column. The harness takes a special and obvious route through the ring pieces already disconnected. The switch is held to the housing with a pin that has a cam on the front end. It just pulls right out to the front. Three hands and a couple more eyes may be valuable at this point. You will need to disconnect your feed wire / string leaving it in the column before un routing the old part through the ring pieces. I do not suggest removing the wiper switch from the column and waiting on the new part to arrive. Do all of this on one throw. Reroute the new plug through the ring pieces and reattach your lead wire / string. You may need to fiddle with the turn signal harness at the bottom of the column to give way to the wiper switch plug. Install the switch to the housing with the pin. Things should be falling together pretty nice at this point and reassembly is quite straightforward.

The fight for me and the most time consuming both times was with the rod for the headlight switch. A third hand may be needed here too. These parts need to be lined up perfect and then it just falls together too. I did not have to deal with a column shift, so I can't comment with anything in regard to that.

Replacing this wiper switch did cure the wonkiness at the turn signal stem and the wiper issues as well. I'm pleased. However, it's not obvious what is worn or broken with the old part.

I do not suggest doing this job in a gravel parking lot while raining. Thankfully I didn't. In a good spot with plenty of light and the right tools it's not too bad and could be completed fairly quickly. Having someone around might be nice but I did this solo.