Kill switch, 1997 k1500 pickup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aj_08

Reaction score
Hello aj_08,

618 Syndicate has the best idea. Using the following wiring diagram from the
Factory Service Manual, let's see what would be the best way to implement
the 'denial of starter usage' function while you are away from your vehicle:

You must be registered for see images attach

Alright, when it comes to a relay, we can either disable it's functioning (the control side)
-or- we can allow the relay to function but interrupt the power to the load that the relay
is controlling.

To keep this short enough that it will actually be read, when you look at the circuit above,
the RED and PPL (purple) wires would be your target if you decided to interrupt the actual
current being sent to the starter solenoid. (NOTE: Note that both of these wire colors are
marked as a '3' in metric wire diameter. If you check out the attached conversion table
this translates to '12 gauge' wire that is commonly used by sparky types.)

Instead, my recommendation would be to interrupt the control side of the starter solenoid.
This way, instead of the 'momentary on' switch having to reliably carry amps of current, instead
we'll task it with making/breaking the milliamps of current required to operate the solenoid.

In addition, the RED & PPL wires are physically run between the Underhood Fuse Block and the
starter solenoid, so having to route this 12 gauge wire from the Underhood fuse block to a
switch reachable from the driver position is more work. And the shorter that a 'high current'
circuit is, the better.

**** How to test kill switch functionality prior to implementation ****

First, locate the Ignition Switch on the diagram. Notice that the switch must be turned by
the human all the way to the Start position. If you follow the wire from the Start terminal,
it then goes through the CRANK fuse. (#8 in the IP {Instrument Panel} fuse block.)

Pull that fuse, and verify that the starter is now disabled when you attempt to start your
K1500. Note that the wire feeding the fuse is yellow, and after the fuse it is a 18 or 20 gauge
purple wire. (Remember it's a lower current control signal for the relay.)

At this point, once you've proven to yourself that you can actually disable the starter with
the CRANK fuse, now you know where to wire the switch you choose in series in this circuit.

And if your truck is an automatic, I think that this is the best overall way to implement the
'denial of starter' to a thief. To further thwart a thief if your vehicle is a stick (and the engine
can be pop started via the clutch) then I'd implement a switch to interrupt the power to the
fuel pump. (And since there's no pressurized fuel accumulator, unlike a carb with local storage
{fuel bowl(s)} a fuel injected truck won't run for more than a handful of seconds at most
before stalling out.)

The nice thing about all of the above is that you can prove/disprove this approach in a minute
or so for no parts cost.

And I typed in the above because anyone trying to make it harder for idiots to steal
their GMT400 shares my outlook on life. The less nonsense in life the better.

Good on you for deciding to implement a kill switch. Do your best to make the switch
location and look as counterintuitive as possible. (!)

Hope the above gives you a better understanding of what's involved in getting your
starter spinning.

Cheers -
So before or after the fuse is where we start to make our decision in which wire to use. In short, I guess you can cut the yellow wire that goes to the fuse and add a toggle switch, but this is thicker. Pardon my ignorance, but does cutting the yellow wire prevent the fuse from working if the switch is off and so happens to ground itself out/ short out, meaning the line isn't protected?

In terms of having the lowest risk of failure, the smaller gauge purple wire (top left that goes from the crank fuse to the a/t range switch, which inevitably leads to the starter relay below it) is the ideal candidate to splice in a toggle switch. Correct? And if something does short out, the crank fuse protects it?

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The yellow-circled fuse and fuse socket IS the opening in the circuit you need. Don't cut any wires, don't create any new hacktastic harness issues.

Remove the fuse. Get an inline fuse holder, put the fuse in the fuseholder. Add a blade terminal to the wire of the fuseholder, and poke it into the powered side of the OEM fuse socket. Connect your switch to the other end of the inline fuse holder, using whatever additional wire you need to get the switch where you want it. Other end of the switch gets additional wire, routed back to the OEM fuse socket. Put a blade terminal on that wire, and poke it into the un-powered side of the socket. Weather-protect the wire splices with heat-shrink tubing (the kind with adhesive on the inside, kinda like hot-melt glue) and the blade terminals jammed into the OEM fuse socket as needed--dielectric silicone grease, some sort of rubber cover...whatever. SECURE THE WIRES so they don't vibrate loose, get chafed/abraded, melted on the exhaust, etc. This will be important for the blade terminals crammed into the fuse socket. MAYBE you want to use narrower-than-standard blade terminals so they can't wiggle sideways and touch each other--which would create a short-circuit across the fuse socket.

Vehicle wiring is 100% unmolested original. You can remove your anti-theft switch-and-harness, and just shove the original fuse back into the original fuse socket any time you want.

Last edited:

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In short, I guess you can cut the yellow wire and add a toggle switch, but this is thicker. In terms of having the lowest risk of failure, the smaller gauge purple wire (top left that goes from the crank fuse to the a/t range switch, which inevitably leads to the starter relay below it) is the ideal candidate to splice in a toggle switch. Correct?

Yes. To oversimplify, putting a given quality switch in the control side of a relay circuit = switch outlasts vehicle.

Putting the same switch in the high current power delivery side of the relay = switch works awhile?

(Some would argue that a good enough quality switch will outlast the vehicle in either implementation. But if
I can improve the odds of never having a reliability issue of a security mod like this for free, why not?)

Bottom line, from here it looks like your focus on the purple wire you identified is the best answer. And this specific
wire should be relatively easy to identify under the dash.

Let us know how this turns out. And thanks for making me think about doing this on the chore truck.
I would be beside myself if some thug helped themselves to my beast of burden.

Make it so! :0)

aj_08

Reaction score
Yes. To oversimplify, putting a given quality switch in the control side of a relay circuit = switch outlasts vehicle.

Putting the same switch in the high current power delivery side of the relay = switch works awhile?

(Some would argue that a good enough quality switch will outlast the vehicle in either implementation. But if
I can improve the odds of never having a reliability issue of a security mod like this for free, why not?)

Bottom line, from here it looks like your focus on the purple wire you identified is the best answer. And this specific
wire should be relatively easy to identify under the dash.

Let us know how this turns out. And thanks for making me think about doing this on the chore truck.
I would be beside myself if some thug helped themselves to my beast of burden.

Make it so! :0)
Purple wire going from the crank fuse to the a/t range switch it is, and NOT the purple wire from the starter relay going to the starter that is located in the underhood fuse panel for anyone still on the fence (although this could be done but more risky). Thanks again for the great info, I try to spell it out for people like me so that it's clear and thoughts and ideas could be corrected. Appreciate everyone's help.

Won't attempt until after Easter!

aj_08

Reaction score

The fuse and fuse socket IS the opening in the circuit you need. Don't cut any wires, don't create any new hacktastic harness issues.

Remove the fuse. Get an inline fuse holder, put the fuse in the fuseholder. Add a blade terminal to the wire of the fuseholder, and poke it into the powered side of the OEM fuse socket. Connect your switch to the other end of the inline fuse holder, using whatever additional wire you need to get the switch where you want it. Other end of the switch gets routed back to the OEM fuse socket. Put a blade terminal on that wire, and poke it into the un-powered side of the socket. Weather-protect the wire splices with heat-shrink tubing (the kind with adhesive on the inside, kinda like hot-melt glue) and the blade terminals jammed into the OEM fuse socket as needed--dielectric silicone grease, some sort of rubber cover...whatever. SECURE THE WIRES so they don't vibrate loose, get chafed/abraded, melted on the exhaust, etc.

Vehicle wiring is 100% unmolested original. You can remove your anti-theft switch-and-harness, and just shove the original fuse back into the original fuse socket any time you want.
Additional info that is very useful. Will look into this to prevent cutting/ molesting the original wiring harnesses. Thanks for this. However, this method is more easily detectable by a thief as they can see the fuse tap in the fuse location.

Last edited:

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Purple wire going from the crank fuse to the a/t range switch it is, and NOT the purple wire from the starter relay going to the starter that is located in the underhood fuse panel for anyone still on the fence (although this could be done but more risky). Thanks again for the great info, I try to spell it out for people like me so that it's clear and thoughts and ideas could be corrected. Appreciate everyone's help.

Agreed. Part of the reason why I added that metric-to-standard conversion table to reply #18
was so that when someone new to the old truck hobby is trying to reason through the wiring diagram
they can tell immediately that the larger purple wire in the 40 amp IGN A fuse circuit is visibly different
than the much smaller gauge (but same color) purple wire from the 10 amp CRANK fuse.

There's a wealth of knowledge contained in the FSM wiring diagrams, but it takes a little practice
to get all you can from this resource. But this skillset is well worth acquiring, for it makes you
more self-sufficient if/when you are faced with an electrical issue down the road.

And bonus points for learning how to read these 'electrical wiring harness roadmaps' *before* you need
to use them in order to fix a problem. Even familiarizing yourself with how the truck behaves when
your pull individual fuses can be an invaluable troubleshooting aid down the road.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
However, the downside is that this method is more easily detectable by a thief.
OK. Build your fuse/fuseholder/switch/additional wire as needed exactly as before. Instead of using blade terminals jammed into the front, solder it to the back side of that same fuse socket being careful to not screw-up nearby wires or sockets.

Then put a popped fuse in from the front. Totally un-detectable unless the thieves start testing fuses for continuity--or--find your "hidden" switch. At that point, your concern will be that they don't bother to start the engine at all...they collect the car with a tow-truck or flat-bed. And again...all you have to do to return the vehicle to OEM is to put a GOOD fuse in the socket, and clip the additional wires you soldered-in.

aj_08

Reaction score
OK. Build your fuse/fuseholder/switch/additional wire as needed exactly as before. Instead of using blade terminals jammed into the front, solder it to the back side of that same fuse socket being careful to not screw-up nearby wires or sockets.

Then put a popped fuse in from the front. Totally un-detectable unless the thieves start testing fuses for continuity--or--find your "hidden" switch. And again...all you have to do to return the vehicle to OEM is to put a GOOD fuse in the socket, and clip the additional wires you soldered-in.
Very interesting and clever. Thanks!

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here was my plan. The injectors are fired on the ground side. They're powered during ignition on as well as cranking. I was going to kill the powered side of the injectors using a relay hidden up underneath the dash and I was going to use the keyed airbag switch to turn on the relay. I was going to rewire the airbag function to a plain Jane rocker switch.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here was my plan. The injectors are fired on the ground side. They're powered during ignition on as well as cranking. I was going to kill the powered side of the injectors using a relay hidden up underneath the dash and I was going to use the keyed airbag switch to turn on the relay. I was going to rewire the airbag function to a plain Jane rocker switch.

According to this wiring diagram your proposed kill switch would be very effective. And I really like
the way you are hiding the enable in plain sight, yet camouflaging it by the visual association with the
air bag system.

So the engine cranks over, but no joy. I'm guessing that there wouldn't be the SES light, which would
be a good reminder for you, but the J*ck@ss trying to steal it would never notice. The stealth aspect
is a nice touch. Good stuff.

Attachments

• Fuel Injector & VCM fuse - 99 Chevrolet & GMC CK Truck SM - Vol. 3 & 4.jpg
    Fuel Injector & VCM fuse - 99 Chevrolet & GMC CK Truck SM - Vol. 3 & 4.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 8