VHS system Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Moore

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think the idea behind this is more of an "nostalgia/period correctness" rather than quality of picture-of course he could've had a hard drive with wifi and stream everything. But going to a car/truck show i.e.-nobody would take any notice. Seeing a VHS is gonna make many people smile and appreciate.
Correct me if I'm wrong John Moore

I plan on showing this Tahoe before too long because of the Z71 model, the condition, and all the paperwork I have on it. My idea was to have a Chevrolet dealer promo vhs playing in the car at the show. I have one that goes over the suburbans and Tahoes. Very cool!

the diodes I need are being delivered today so I can put the power filter back together. I’ll post pics.

John Moore

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just soldered in the safety diode for the power filter. All fixed!

So for anyone searching the internet for why their Rosen power filter keeps blowing fuses, hopefully this will help them.

Rosen power filter part number 1801-0102-000

TVS diode p6ke18a

Attachments

• IMG_6332.jpeg
    IMG_6332.jpeg
    400.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6330.jpeg
    IMG_6330.jpeg
    287.5 KB · Views: 14

John Moore

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
CadillacBobs Escalade has the Tan interior whereas my Tahoe has the Gray interior.

I had to paint the TV screen trim piece to match my gray. I used SEM Medium Gray #15393 which appears to be a perfect match to my eyes.

Attachments

• IMG_6288.jpeg
    IMG_6288.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6334.jpeg
    IMG_6334.jpeg
    312.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6335.jpeg
    IMG_6335.jpeg
    282.1 KB · Views: 16

John Moore

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can safely say I will not install another one of these systems, getting the wires ran and the monitor mounted had me rethinking my life decisions.

I am a lot better at electronic repair than electronic installation.

After hours of fighting it, and becoming more religious, I finally had it installed correctly. I had to extend the dome light harness, I used the plug off of my old dome light to plug into the harness and soldered on longer wires. Looks great, turned out perfect.

What gave me so much trouble other than running the cables, there was a factory wiring harness right in the way of where the metal mount screws to the roof. It would block the monitor frame just enough to keep it from installing correctly. The harness was very tight, but I was able to stretch(?) it out of the way enough. At this time the Monitor mount would finally line up, I tightened it down and thought I was done….BUT the gray bezel wasn’t flush against the headliner. There was a gap in places. I was furious. I thought maybe the heat had deformed it, or my headliner was different.

I then remembered the metal plate that screws to the roof, it MUST go under the front lip of a roof support, near the front roof console. I did not have it like this. So I had to take it all back off, mount the metal bracket correctly and reassemble.

This was an all day event just to run the cables and install the monitor. Tomorrow I should be able to finish it up.

Attachments

• IMG_6344.jpeg
    IMG_6344.jpeg
    238.5 KB · Views: 24

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can safely say I will not install another one of these systems, getting the wires ran and the monitor mounted had me rethinking my life decisions.
My first ten years as “an adult” following a career was spent as an installer… I always hated roof mounted screens. Even working in da hood on some seriously g h e t t o whips, with customers that weren’t really worried about things being “done right” was still a nightmare and a most of the day ordeal for me. Good job though, this is a killer OE mod :headbang: