VHS system Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Moore

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. This is a lot of work. I have the cables run, two go up the B pillar from the Tuner interface box under the rear seat, to the monitor. The power cable and FM modulator cable run from the tuner interface to under the front dash. I had a hard time finding a spot to mount the power filter.

The service manual showed it mounted beside the steering column but I had many factory electrical connections in that area. I ended up zip tying it to the main harnesses under there. It’s secure.

The power filter harness has 4 wires. Two grounds, a constant 12 and a switched 12. I ran the two grounds to a factory ground point, where my fog light relay grounds to. The constant 12v wire was run through the firewall to the accessory stud on the fuse box under the hood. The switched 12v to turn the system on, I tapped into the radio power which also switches on my subwoofer amp. Everything looks great so far.

The FM modulator is zip tied to the dash support bar per the service manual. Extra cables were coiled and secured under there as well. I had to pull the radio to plug in the FM modulator cables and I had to use antenna adapters. The Rosen FM modulator uses the bigger sized antenna connections whereas GM uses the smaller. I was lucky enough to find the adapters at a local car audio place. They said not many people need these adapters anymore.

So far everything is working flawlessly. I skimmed through the service manual and found the IR frequency used for the wireless audio…so I bought a pair of wireless headphones accordingly. They work!

I will admit that I enjoy using the stereo for audio instead of the headphones, sounds so cool.

I’ve been sitting in the back seat watching the fast and furious, I’m sure people going by think I’m troubled…maybe I am. But I’m having a blast!

I still need to install all the trim work, but I’m enjoying this much needed break.

Attachments

• IMG_6346.jpeg
    IMG_6346.jpeg
    238 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6349.jpeg
    IMG_6349.jpeg
    266.1 KB · Views: 19

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kind of off topic (and I wouldn't want to mess with your remote holder :lol: ) but this is sort of retro-tech-ish...

Just FYI Kleenex still makes the little "Pocket Packs" of tissues that fit in that factory dispenser in your rear arm rest/cup holder. I keep the one in my Suburban stocked, it's made a few back seat passengers laugh over the years.

www.amazon.com/Kleenex-11975-Pocket-Pack10pk/dp/B07D6WZ76C

John Moore

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kind of off topic (and I wouldn't want to mess with your remote holder :lol: ) but this is sort of retro-tech-ish...

Just FYI Kleenex still makes the little "Pocket Packs" of tissues that fit in that factory dispenser in your rear arm rest/cup holder. I keep the one in my Suburban stocked, it's made a few back seat passengers laugh over the years.

www.amazon.com/Kleenex-11975-Pocket-Pack10pk/dp/B07D6WZ76C

Very cool! I don’t plan on keeping the remote there, I know it would rattle. Rattles drive me insane.

When I got this car, it had the Kleenex in that holder, they were very old. I wonder how long they were in there, maybe original?

Over the years people have actually used them and it eventually ran out a few months ago. I will definitely order more!

Thank you!!!

John Moore

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here’s a picture of how the system mounts under the seat. I got all of the trim installed, I started cleaning up all the wires but ran out of daylight. If it’s not raining tomorrow I’ll finish it up.

I love how secure everything is. No loose components. Solid mounting. It’s great.

Attachments

• IMG_6354.jpeg
    IMG_6354.jpeg
    369.5 KB · Views: 18

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Very cool! I don’t plan on keeping the remote there, I know it would rattle. Rattles drive me insane.

When I got this car, it had the Kleenex in that holder, they were very old. I wonder how long they were in there, maybe original?

Over the years people have actually used them and it eventually ran out a few months ago. I will definitely order more!

Thank you!!!
They might have the "travel pak" Kleenex at Walmart or your local grocery store too. I know I've seen them different places, 3 paks in a package. Walmart has their travel needs and toiletries display up now, for summer road trips.
My Burb has that compartment in the second row seat center armrest, but the seats in the crew cab don't have it. Must be an SUV thing....

SentandBent4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haha! This somehow strikes me funny, cause my dad still keeps a full size box a Kleenex on his dash! Looks goofy, but I guess he doesn’t care. It wouldn’t be so bad if he stuck in his bottomless pit of a console, but that’s his junkyard. I can’t stand messy, unorganized trucks……..

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. This is a lot of work. I have the cables run, two go up the B pillar from the Tuner interface box under the rear seat, to the monitor. The power cable and FM modulator cable run from the tuner interface to under the front dash. I had a hard time finding a spot to mount the power filter.

The service manual showed it mounted beside the steering column but I had many factory electrical connections in that area. I ended up zip tying it to the main harnesses under there. It’s secure.

The power filter harness has 4 wires. Two grounds, a constant 12 and a switched 12. I ran the two grounds to a factory ground point, where my fog light relay grounds to. The constant 12v wire was run through the firewall to the accessory stud on the fuse box under the hood. The switched 12v to turn the system on, I tapped into the radio power which also switches on my subwoofer amp. Everything looks great so far.

The FM modulator is zip tied to the dash support bar per the service manual. Extra cables were coiled and secured under there as well. I had to pull the radio to plug in the FM modulator cables and I had to use antenna adapters. The Rosen FM modulator uses the bigger sized antenna connections whereas GM uses the smaller. I was lucky enough to find the adapters at a local car audio place. They said not many people need these adapters anymore.

So far everything is working flawlessly. I skimmed through the service manual and found the IR frequency used for the wireless audio…so I bought a pair of wireless headphones accordingly. They work!

I will admit that I enjoy using the stereo for audio instead of the headphones, sounds so cool.

I’ve been sitting in the back seat watching the fast and furious, I’m sure people going by think I’m troubled…maybe I am. But I’m having a blast!

I still need to install all the trim work, but I’m enjoying this much needed break.
frickin love it!

Need a Smokey and the Bandit, and a Canonball Run VHS to add to the collection.

John Moore

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well everything is officially done. Good riddance to this job. Maybe for others it will be a lot easier. I’m 300lbs and 6’5, it’s not easy getting underneath the dash, etc. it’s miserable.

I believe I will celebrate tonight by chilling in the backseat and watching a movie lmao. A very wild Saturday night.

The VHS audio through the FM converter has really surprised me. It sounds great. Very detailed.

I should mention that I’ve upgraded all of the speakers to JBL and Hertz, along with a JBL powered subwoofer. This is all driven off a factory Delco head unit that I bought from FactoryRadio on eBay. It has a 3.5mm Aux input. The entire system is exactly what I wanted. Am/Fm radio, cassette, Slave CD player, 3.5 Aux input, and then the FM modulator for the entertainment system. It all works perfectly, I cannot be happier!

Shown in the picture is the video cassette player and tuner interface. There was a lot of extra cable from the tuner interface to the player, i coiled it up the best I could. Everything is secure and rattle-free so I’m happy.

Attachments

• IMG_6356.jpeg
    IMG_6356.jpeg
    395.1 KB · Views: 20

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
Very nice work my man!! I’m glad you have the skills to fix the problem and install it all!! Yes this was made for 400’s specifically like said that anyone can throw a newer type of video player in it’s to have period correct as it will be more accurate and more thought provoking to spark conversation.

I appreciate your appreciation of you knowing that I didn’t just toss everything in a box an “ace Ventura’d” it to you!

Lol hahaha but I do say you have me kicking my own butt a fuzz that you got wireless headphones to connect with the system! Lol that would’ve been my end goal but you know what your doing to make all these things happen so I can knock that !!!

An was very kool chatting with you on the phone on everything an going over how certain parts were ran etc..
I’m excited to see your end results! Which I see are great!
I wanted you to have a easy time installing it as I labeled everything so no second guessing and I know all to well on laying in the drivers floor under the dash is all a struggle I’m 6’1” 230lbs but I’m 42yrs so totally feel you on that!! Your paint job looks factory!! And I’m in the end just happy to see you enjoying it and happy with it! Like I mentioned before that find a rear center armrest from a Escalade or Denali to gain that storage compartment under leather armrest to stowaway the remote and something else!! But great great work and I maybe hitting you up for how to’s when installing the new dvd player I bought!