Dorman 30amp universal ignition switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DixieMafia251

Reaction score
What’s up Family?! It’s been a while since I posted last.So after my long ordeal chasing “Electrical gremlins” it turned out to be a bad ignition switch.Instead of buyin a new/used stock ignition switch,I decided to go with the Dorman 30amp universal ignition.It recommends using a fusible link with it.After purchasing said fuse,I read that a lot of people don’t recommend installing a fusible link because the (factory) didn’t install one in the 1st place.I been reading thru my Haynes manual electrical diagram and it is confusing as hell but getting a lil easier the more I study it.It’s confusing because certain colors they mention,I do not see.Makes me wonder if the previous owner replaced this stock ignition switch.Does anyone know exactly what wires to hook up?! I know my basic colors but I want to be on the safe side so I dont burn my baby to the ground! Any help is very much appreciated and I promise to be more active on here with y’all!
~ROLL TIDE~

1996 Chevy Silverado K1500 5.7 Vortec 2 Door Ext-Cab

DixieMafia251

Reaction score
I would heavily consider replacing the ignition switch with another stock ignition switch.
Hey! What’s up Komet?! Thanks for the quick response! I understand what you mean,and I’ve had a few people tell me the same thing.If you don’t mind me asking,What is your reasoning for going back (Stock)?! To be honest,I got this Dorman because I don’t have the funds right now to purchase a new (Stock) ignition switch. (Aftermarket) or (Stock) either way..I want to do things the right way the 1st time. I will have more $$ here soon and I can promise y’all,I will by a new quality Ignition switch when I can afford it. I heard the best one to get is (AC DELCO).I could be wrong.What brand do you recommend?? Thanks again in advance Komet!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 16

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since it is free, and the information, operating, repairs, wire diagrams would correct for your year wouldn't it be a great idea to have the OE service manual. As you said the haynes it's not quite correct. Aftermarket are a generalized reference. Nobody can memorize a whole service manual, use the best or the correct that applies to your project or work.
I worked with a guy that was like, Mr Memory, a sheet of paper he would draw and explain the circuit at same time , exactly right. Amazing and kinda scary at the same time.
The point being use the OE solve half your headache.
Good luck!

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey! What’s up Komet?! Thanks for the quick response! I understand what you mean,and I’ve had a few people tell me the same thing.If you don’t mind me asking,What is your reasoning for going back (Stock)?! To be honest,I got this Dorman because I don’t have the funds right now to purchase a new (Stock) ignition switch. (Aftermarket) or (Stock) either way..I want to do things the right way the 1st time. I will have more $$ here soon and I can promise y’all,I will by a new quality Ignition switch when I can afford it. I heard the best one to get is (AC DELCO).I could be wrong.What brand do you recommend?? Thanks again in advance Komet!!
I get the being low on bucks thing. There was a time I installed a push button starter in my car because I was tired of touching the solenoid wire to the +12v terminal on the battery. It was really hard to hit it in the dark, I just had to fling the wire around until the sparks lit up my location.

Anywho, I'm an advocate for using the stock electrical systems wherever possible primarily because I am lazy. Doing custom work is 10x as hard because you have to engineer your own solutions for everything (e.g. what wires go where, mounting the switch, why am I installing a fuse, etc.). Replacing parts is easy because stock is a direct fit and there's a procedure in the factory service manual you can follow step by step. Plus, the parts in the GM system are pretty decent generally speaking, so not only is it harder to install aftermarket, it's a downgrade in performance.

Try searching for your switch on rockauto.com, they tend to have low prices. AC Delco or GM Genuine is your best bet, but if bucks are tight, Standard Motor Products (the good one, not the T-Series) will probably get the job done.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You install a "universal" ignition switch, how do you plan to wire up all the other stuff powered by the switch? At minimum, you're going to butcher the original harness. Worst-case, you're going to have non-functional ABS, HVAC, Cruise, radio, etc.

The OEM style switch is plug-'n'-play. No wiring problems.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anywho, I'm an advocate for using the stock electrical systems wherever possible primarily because I am lazy. Doing custom work is 10x as hard because you have to engineer your own solutions for everything (e.g. what wires go where, mounting the switch, why am I installing a fuse, etc.). Replacing parts is easy because stock is a direct fit and there's a procedure in the factory service manual you can follow step by step. Plus, the parts in the GM system are pretty decent generally speaking, so not only is it harder to install aftermarket, it's a downgrade in performance.

Try searching for your switch on rockauto.com, they tend to have low prices. AC Delco or GM Genuine is your best bet, but if bucks are tight, Standard Motor Products (the good one, not the T-Series) will probably get the job done.

Greetings @DixieMafia251,

Komet, Schurkey, & GoToGuy are all giving you rock solid advice.

And like Komet & yourself, once upon a time money was tight for yours truly. I distinctly
remember riding around with a hammer, so that not if but when the starter wouldn't turn
over I knew *exactly* where to tap it in order to get a another few uses out of it. (And when
I could finally replace that starter, afterwards it felt like pure luxury to no longer need the hammer
as part of the starting routine. Man, the stuff that we take for granted these days. :0)

But getting back to your ignition switch replacement, I'd like to join in with the gentlemen above to
get you to replace the bad part with an identical part. Why?

A: IF you stay with the original setup, then if you have a problem down the road, then somewhere around
the country one of us can pull up the following page and be able to help you figure out what is going wrong:

'96 Chevrolet CK Truck Service Manual, Volume 2, p. 1760 (Electrical Diagnosis, Ignition Switch)
You must be registered for see images attach

As you can see, there's a *lot* going on in a small space. The ignition switch is going to
take (2) RED "Always Hot" inputs, and then depending upon what the human decides, distribute the
power into 5 separate, parallel circuits, with the following rules: (reading the above from left to right)

* Hot in ON & ACCessory.
* Hot in ON only.
* Hot in START only.
* Hot in ON + START.
* Hot in OFF + ON + START.

I'm pretty comfortable with this stuff, but I wouldn't want to try and duplicate the above with a generic
switch and guarantee it's reliable...especially if it was to be wired in parallel with the suspect original switch.
(Yikes!)

But if you choose to modify the wiring harness in order to install a generic starter switch...then this
page in the manual is no longer applicable, so now we're troubleshooting remotely blind?

And while we're on the subject of wiring diagrams, the Haynes is just close enough to reality that all it's
really good for is getting your hopes up, only to be dashed upon the hard rocks of not-matching reality.

Instead, the good people in here have set up a spot where you can download the factory service manuals
for your '96. For free. Give yourself the gift of the real documents to follow: ('88-'98 FSM)

Best of luck. Let us know what you find when you find it.

Last edited:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Instead of buyin a new/used stock ignition switch,I decided to go with the Dorman 30amp universal ignition.

There are probably exceptions somewhere in their product line, but Dorman has never failed to disappoint and piss me off whenever I’ve made the mistake of buying something from them. I suppose their cardboard boxes are fairly decent sometimes but, seriously bud, I’d get my money back.

Not being sarcastic at all, but a 20+ year old junkyard ignition switch would probably be a better choice.

Otherwise, definitely get a factory replacement as recommended by others above.

DixieMafia251

Reaction score
Since it is free, and the information, operating, repairs, wire diagrams would correct for your year wouldn't it be a great idea to have the OE service manual. As you said the haynes it's not quite correct. Aftermarket are a generalized reference. Nobody can memorize a whole service manual, use the best or the correct that applies to your project or work.
I worked with a guy that was like, Mr Memory, a sheet of paper he would draw and explain the circuit at same time , exactly right. Amazing and kinda scary at the same time.
Good luck!
Good luck!
What’s up go to guy?! I wanted to thank you for the great advice and now i wish I would have read your response before yesterday morning! I was headed to work at 6:00am,everything was running smooth and decided to pull into the gas station and air up tires which is about 3 miles from my home.As I’m leaving,and the truck shifting into 2nd gear it was a hard shift! I decided to turn around and head home because I didn’t want to risk going any further and being stranded in B.F.E.! My truck wouldn’t even shift out of 1st gear (4l60e) and a very noticeable lack of power.I pulled into a local business and the truck shut off while pulling in! I disconnected the (Dorman) ign. and battery,Let her cool off and N***R Rigged the wires back on the original ignition switch,just enough to get home. I made it home but as I was backing into driveway every time I shifted into Reverse or drive,the tires would spin on my gravel driveway.Long story short,I’m taking y’all’s advise now and ordered and waiting on a brand new Ign. Switch.
Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_0520.png
    IMG_0520.png
    506.1 KB · Views: 5

DixieMafia251

Reaction score
I get the being low on bucks thing. There was a time I installed a push button starter in my car because I was tired of touching the solenoid wire to the +12v terminal on the battery. It was really hard to hit it in the dark, I just had to fling the wire around until the sparks lit up my location.

What’s up Komet?! That’s pretty damn funny man! Haha Well..I so wish now,I took up on y’all’s advice and ordered a OE replacement to begin with!! Headed to work yesterday and long story short,Truck was running smooth but then shut off on me a few miles from home! I let her cool off a few then rigged her up just enough to get back home.I made it home and now waiting on part #(ARBC506201) $35 bucks! Wow!! Lesson learned! Thanks for making me laugh and sound advice! Stay safe! God Bless!
~ROLL TIDE~

Attachments

• IMG_0520.png
    IMG_0520.png
    506.1 KB · Views: 1